Interac e-TransferMove money to or from any Canadian bank account
Is it right for me?
It's ideal if you want a convenient and quick way of sending or receiving money electronically.
Tell me about it
Need to send, request or receive money from friends and family? Try Interac e-Transfer†*. It’s a safe, easy way to transfer funds through Scotia OnLine, Mobile Banking or iMessage on your iPhone.
All you and your recipient need are an email address and a Canadian bank account with access to online banking.
NEW: Receive transfers effortlessly with Autodeposit
When you register your email address for Autodeposit, any transfers sent to you will be automatically deposited into your pre-selected bank account; you won’t have to login to Scotia OnLine or Mobile Banking, and there’s no security questions to answer. It’s especially useful if you receive transfers regularly for rent, living expenses, or client payments.
It's easy to set up
1. Log in to your account through Scotia OnLine or Mobile Banking.
2. If you’re using Scotia OnLine select: Transfers > Interac e-Transfer > Manage Autodeposit. For Mobile Banking, go to the main menu and tap: Interac e-Transfer > Manage Autodeposit.
3. Fill in the information and select Register.
4. You’ll get a confirmation email from the Interac e-Transfer service. Confirm the registration within 24 hours and you’re done.
NEW: Request Money helps you collect the funds you’re owed
Does your friend owe you for dinner? Or maybe a client needs to make a payment. Request Money makes it easier for friends, family and clients to send you the funds they owe you.
Making a Request is simple
1. Log in to your account through Scotia OnLine or Mobile Banking.
2. If you’re using Scotia OnLine select: Transfers > Interac e-Transfer > Request money. For Mobile Banking, go to the main menu and tap: Interac e-Transfer > Request money.
3. Enter the information needed and confirm your request.
Your friend, family member or client will get a “Request Money” notification from the Interac e-Transfer service. They simply need to accept the request by logging into their account and select the account they wish to pay from (they will not be charged an Interac e-Transfer fee). Once the “Request Money” is accepted the funds are automatically deposited into your account.
Use Interac e-Transfer easily through Online or Mobile banking
It’s safe, secure and very convenient. All you need to do is:
- Sign into Scotia OnLine or Scotiabank Mobile Banking.
- Select Transfer> Interac e-Transfer.
- Enter your transfer information, confirm the transaction and you're done. Your recipient will get an email letting them know they've received funds.
Texting? Use your iPhone and send funds in iMessage
As long as you have an iPhone 5s or later and an OS of 10 or higher, you can send money with iMessage. Here's what you need to do.
First add the App to iMessage.
- Open iMessage and select the icon (if you don’t see it, select the chevron “>”).
- Select “+” to add the Scotiabank app to iMessage
- In the ‘Manage’ tab scroll until you see the Scotiabank icon and flip the toggle to “On”
Then send your Interac e-transfer.
- In iMessage, press then tap the Scotiabank logo. If you don't see it, just swipe until you do.
- Login with Touch ID
- Enter your transfer information
- Hit "Continue", confirm your transfer and you're done
You'll see your transfer as an iMessage. Your recipient can select the text to deposit the funds. They'll get the money even if they use an Android, Blackberry or older iPhone.
Where do I start?
Download the Scotiabank App.
Visit our Digital Centre for great time-saving tips.
How do I use it?
Perfect when you need to send money to family and friends.
Interac† e-Transfer* - How It Works
Person-to-person or person-to-business, transfer funds from just about anywhere.
You can stop an Interac† e-Transfer* only if the recipient has not yet accepted the funds. There is no fee to stop anInterac† e-Transfer.
To stop an Interac† e-Transfer:
- Sign on to Scotia OnLine or Scotiabank Mobile Banking.
- Go to TransfersInterac e-Transfer.
- Click the "Show pending Interac e-Transfers" button located below the "Continue" button.
- Click the red "X" in the Stop Transfer column beside the transfer you wish to stop.
- Choose an account in which to deposit the reclaimed funds.
- Click "Continue."
- Review your information and click "Confirm" to stop the transfer.
We use two layers of security to ensure your transfer arrives safe and sound. You never have to worry about security when sending a transfer, because we use the established inter-bank fund clearing networks Canadians have trusted for years.
Yes. Interac e-Transfers expire 30 days after they are sent. After 30 days, the recipient will not be able to deposit the funds. Also, the sender will receive an email instructing them to deposit the funds back into their account.
The sender will receive an email notifying them that the recipient failed to answer the security question correctly. The email will also contain instructions for reclaiming and depositing the funds.
For Electronic Transfer Limits, please refer to Managing your ScotiaCard section accessible through Scotia OnLine and the Settings section within Scotiabank Mobile Banking or your copy of the ScotiaCard Banking Access Maintenance form.
Sending an e-transfer only costs $1.00 (2 Free Interac e-Transfers per month**)
If you bank online, receiving an Interac e-Transfer is free. If you don't bank online, you may be charged a small fee when funds are deposited.
You might also be interested in:
Western Union Money Transfers
Send money around the globe quickly and conveniently in over 220 countries and territories around the world.
Note: Any regular Service Fees associated for a debit transaction will also be charged when you are sending an Interac e-Transfer transaction from your Scotiabank account. For Electronic Transfer Limits, please refer to Managing your ScotiaCard section accessible through Scotia OnLine or your ScotiaCard Banking Access Enrolment Maintenance Form.
In order to receive an Interac† e-Transfer transaction immediately, the recipient must bank online with Scotiabank, BMO Bank of Montreal, CIBC, President's Choice Financial, RBC Royal Bank, TD Canada Trust, ING Direct, ATB Financial, Desjardins or National Bank. Customers should check with those banks, as terms and conditions may vary. If the recipient does not bank online with one of those banks, they will experience a delay of several days in receiving their funds, and they may be charged a fee in order to receive the funds.
The Interac logo and Interac e-Transfer transactions are registered trade-marks of Interac Inc. Used under licence.
Customers can send or request two free Interac e-Transfers per month on the following accounts: Scotiabank Momentum Chequing Account, Scotia OneTM Account, Basic Banking Plan, Basic Banking Account, Scotia Value Account, Power Chequing Account, Getting There Savings Program® for Youth. Only the first 2 Interac e-Transfer transactions you send or request each month through Scotia Online or Scotiabank Mobile banking (using your AndroidTM* phone, or iPhone or iPad mobile devices) are free.Unused free Interac e-Transfer transactions cannot be carried forward to subsequent months. Student Banking Advantage® Plan includes unlimited Interac e-Transfers. Fees may initially be charged for Interac e-Transfers in excess of 99 in a month but will be reversed in the subsequent month.