Online Security Guarantee
We will fully reimburse you in the unlikely event that you suffer direct financial losses due to unauthorized activity1 in your accounts through Scotia OnLine Financial Services2 provided you have met your security responsibilities.
Our Commitment to You
At Scotiabank, we're committed to keeping your accounts and financial information safe and secure, from the moment you sign on to Scotia OnLine to the time you sign out. As part of this commitment, we have instituted a number of security measures to help ensure the integrity of your transactions and your account information, including:
- Meeting high industry Internet security standards by enforcing the use of 128-bit encryption browsers
- Installing firewalls and monitoring our systems to prevent unauthorized access to our internal systems and maintain the safety of your information
- Developing and implementing security enhancements to further protect Scotia OnLine information and sessions. We provide such security features like Express Sign-On, Access Code, Session Timeouts and 12 months free McAfee security software. We also offer you an extra level of security protection by displaying the date and time of the last online visit, whenever you login to Scotia OnLine
A Shared Responsibility
To ensure you are protected under the Online Security Guarantee, you must do your part too. That means it is your responsibility to abide by the terms of our customer agreements3 and follow the guidelines in the Safe Computing Practices section of Scotiabank's website. In particular, you must:
- Carefully select your Scotia OnLine sign-on password and Access Code and ensure that they are different from one another. Never select a password or Access Code that is the same as or similar to an obvious number combination such as your date of birth, bank account numbers, ABM PIN number or telephone numbers
- Keep your ScotiaCard number, Scotia OnLine sign-on password, Access Code, and ScotiaCard Security Code number (last three italicized numbers printed on the back of your ScotiaCard) confidential. Do not divulge this information to anyone – including family members, friends, employees, bookkeepers or anyone else. Do not write this information down or keep a poorly disguised record of it, or keep it together with your ScotiaCard
- Notify us immediately in the event of loss, theft, misuse or compromise of your ScotiaCard or ScotiaCard number,Scotia OnLine sign-on password, Access Code, or Scotia OnLine session. You can contact us at 1-800-4 SCOTIA (1-800 472-6842)
- Install and maintain up-to-date firewall and virus protection software on your PC or wireless device
- Do not respond to pop-ups, emails, or other Internet requests that ask you to reveal personal information about yourself or your Scotiabank accounts. Scotiabank will never send you unsolicited emails asking for your password, Personal Identification Number (PIN), credit card, account numbers, etc. We will never ask you to validate or restore your account access through unsolicited email
- Review your statements and report any errors in a timely manner. Different transactions have different reporting deadlines. Please see the applicable account agreement3, statement or trade confirmation for further details
- Assist us in any investigation into improper access to your accounts
By working together, you can help us protect your financial and personal account information.
"Unauthorized activity" means a transaction that was carried out in your Scotiabank account through Scotia OnLine without your permission, authorization or knowledge and where it can be established that you are a victim of fraud, theft or coercion.
"Accounts" include all accounts that are accessible through Scotia OnLine.