Cybersecurity is the mechanism by which we protect our networks, computer systems, and programs from digital attackers and unsanctioned access. Learn how to create an effective cybersecurity plan for your business.
As business owners, it’s important to think through an approach to cybersecurity for your business.
A plan for your company’s cybersecurity involves identifying:
- What needs to be kept safe
- What the threats are
- What can be done to protect your systems, in order of importance
What a cybersecurity plan is and why you need it
- A cybersecurity plan is a formal document that outlines your business’s security policies, procedures, and controls
- Businesses are a common target for cybercrime; customer information and company revenue are particularly attractive to scammers and cyber attackers
- A business is especially vulnerable due to its potentially large number of employees, creating a multitude of entry points for scammers to breach your network and access your company’s sensitive data
- The goal of a cybersecurity plan is to mitigate these vulnerabilities and protect the business from potential attacks by creating rules for employees to follow and implementing controls to detect, prevent, and reduce security risks
- Educating your employees about basic security practices and the scams they could come in contact with is one of the most effective ways to protect your business from hackers
- Combining employee education with a good cybersecurity plan is the best strategy for neutralizing threats to your business
Have you done this for your business?
Report an incident or suspicious activity