Scotiabank is Canada’s international bank and a leading financial services provider in North America, Latin America, the Caribbean and Central America, and Asia-Pacific. We are dedicated to helping our 24 million customers become better off through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets. With a team of more than 88,000 employees and assets of $915 billion (as at October 31, 2017), Scotiabank trades on the Toronto (TSX: BNS) and New York Exchanges (NYSE: BNS).
Scotiabank’s continued growth and success is founded on several key factors:
- A committed team that shares the same values and works together to provide customers with expert advice, insights and financial solutions.
- A highly diversified and well-balanced business operating within a clearly defined global footprint.
- A strategic agenda with a clear focus based on five, highly integrated priorities that will help us build an even better Bank: being more focused on our customers; enhancing leadership depth, diversity and deployment; being better organized to serve customers and reduce costs; driving a digital transformation; and aligning our business mix with deeper customer relationships.
Our Core Businesses
Our strategy of diversification underpins our potential for sustainable earnings’ growth in each of our business lines: Canadian Banking, International Banking and Global Banking and Markets, over the long term.
Canadian Banking provides a full suite of financial advice and banking solutions, supported by an excellent customer experience, to over 10 million Retail, Small Business, Commercial Banking, and Wealth Management customers. It serves these customers through its network of 963 branches and more than 3,600 automated banking machines (ABMs), as well as internet, mobile and telephone banking and specialized sales teams. Canadian Banking also provides an alternative self-directed banking solution to over two million Tangerine Bank customers. Canadian Banking is comprised of the following areas:
- Retail and Small Business Banking provides financial advice and solutions and day-to-day banking products, including debit cards, chequing accounts, credit cards, investments, mortgages, loans and related creditor insurance products, to individuals and small businesses. Tangerine Bank provides day-to-day banking products, including chequing and saving accounts, credit cards, and investments to self-directed customers.
- Commercial Banking delivers advice and a full suite of lending, deposit, cash management and trade finance solutions to medium and large businesses, including automotive dealers and their customers to whom we provide retail automotive financing solutions.
- Wealth Management provides a suite of investment and wealth management advice, services, products and solutions to customers, as well as advisors. The asset management business is focused on developing investment solutions for both retail and institutional investors. The customer-facing wealth businesses, including private customer, online brokerage, full-service brokerage, pensions, institutional customer services and an independent advisor channel, are focused on providing a full suite of wealth management solutions to our customers.
International Banking has a well-established, diversified franchise that serves more than 15 million Retail, Corporate, and Commercial customers across our footprint. These customers are supported by over 50,000 employees, more than 1,800 branches and a network of contact and business support centers.
International Banking (IB) provides a full range of financial products, solutions and advice to retail and commercial customers and is focused on Latin America, including the Pacific Alliance countries of Mexico, Peru, Chile and Colombia, and the Caribbean and Central America.
Global Banking and Markets
Global Banking and Markets (GBM) conducts the Bank’s wholesale banking and capital markets business with corporate, government and institutional investor clients. GBM is a full-service wholesale bank and investment dealer in Canada and Mexico, and offers a range of products and services in the U.S., Latin America (excluding Mexico), and in select markets in Europe, Asia and Australia.
More specifically, GBM provides clients with: corporate lending; transaction banking (including trade finance and cash management); investment banking (including corporate finance and mergers & acquisitions); fixed income and equity underwriting, sales, trading and research; prime services (prime brokerage and stock lending); foreign exchange sales and trading; commodity derivatives; precious and base metals sales, trading, financing and physical services; and collateral management.
Corporate Social Responsibility
We believe every customer has the right to become better off. Through our CSR strategy, Better Future, Better Off, and our commitments to Customers, Employees, Communities, the Environment, and strong Governance practices, we aim to create value for both society and Scotiabank. Through our resources, reach and expertise, Scotiabank is focused on driving economic growth for our customers, employees, and the communities where we operate, to build a better future. To read about the impact we have made visit www.scotiabank.com/csr.
Our community giving is an important component of our CSR efforts. In 2017, the Bank contributed in excess of $80 million in donations, sponsorships and other forms of assistance to communities around the world.