Scotiabank American Express Card for travel
Earn 5,000 bonus Scotia Rewards points
Start your travel plans faster. Earn 5,000 bonus points with your first Card purchase when you get a Scotiabank American Express Card.2
That's worth $50 in travel!Apply online Rewards Calculator Rewards Calculator
- Earn travel rewards up to 2x faster Earn 2x Scotia Rewards points for every $1 you spend at eligible gas stations, grocery stores, on dining and entertainment1
- Extraordinary travel benefits Receive discounts and other special amenities at hotels, on airfare, car rentals, cruises and vacation packages5
- Full Service Travel Agency Book online or call Scotia Rewards Travel Service3
- Flexible Point RedemptionPurchase travel on your Scotiabank American Express Card from any travel provider, then call or go online to redeem your points for the travel purchase.4
- Comprehensive travel insurance Includes travel emergency medical (up to 8 days)6
- Merchandise and other rewards
At a Glance
Earn 5,000 bonus Scotia Rewards points2
Earn travel rewards up to 2X faster1
Where will your card take you? Scotia Rewards Points Calculator
Accelerated travel rewards!
Earn travel rewards faster, then use your Scotia Rewards points to book flights, hotels, holiday packages, cruises and more with no restrictions!
Scotia Rewards® points
Earn two points for every $1 you spend at eligible gas stations, grocery stores, on dining and entertainment.1
Earn one point for every dollar you spend on all other eligible purchases.1
Extraordinary Travel Services
Purchase travel online or over the phone through our full-service travel agency. Or you can choose to book your own travel using your Scotiabank American Express Card, then call or go online to redeem points for the purchase. 4
Flexible Point Redemption
- 1. Use your points: If you've earned all the points you need, redeem them for your complete trip – including taxes and surcharges.
- 2. Use your Card: You can always use your Card to cover the full amount of your travel. And you'll earn rewards points for every dollar you charge.
- 3. Combine points and payment: Short a few points? Want to save some for later? You can pay for your travel with a combination of accumulated points and a charge to your Card.
Your Scotiabank American Express Card gives you access to reduced rates, special amenities, and a diverse selection of worldwide destinations.
Receive up to 20% off the lowest published offer at over 18,000 hotels worldwide,with special rates and/or complimentary amenities.
Take advantage of up to 25% off car rentals with over 125 companies around the globe
Get low rates, special amenities, and discounts on select vacation package.
Special offers and benefits ranging from shipboard credits, upgrades, and shore excursions (if available)
For a look at just some of the travel experiences available visit www.scotiarewards.com and click on the travel tab.
Scotiabank Gold American Express Card Rewards Program Terms and Conditions.
Comprehensive Travel Protection & Savings6
- Travel Emergency Medical Insurance
- Trip Interruption Insurance
- Common Carrier Travel Accident Insurance
- Rental Car Collision/Loss Damage Insurance
- Purchase Security & Extended Warranty Insurance
- Price Protection Service
For claim forms and answers to Frequently Asked Questions visit our partner's site
Travel Emergency Medical Insurance
- As the primary Cardmember, you, your spouse and accompanyingdependent children are each automatically covered for up to $1 million in emergency medical coverage if sudden and unexpected illness or accidental injury should occur while travelling outside your province or territory of residence in Canada.
- Coverage is automatically provided for eligible persons under 65 years of age for up to 8 consecutive days and for eligible persons 65 years of age and older up to 3 consecutive days.
- Coverage includes eligible expenses for hospital care, nursing care, prescription drugs, licensed ambulances and physicians' and surgeons' fees, as well as other eligible medical services and supplies.
- The date of departure is counted as the first day.
- This benefit is subject to an exclusion for pre-existing medical conditions.
If you are under 65 years of age and are travelling for more than 8 days or if you are 65 years of age and over and travelling for more than 3 days, you may choose to purchase extension coverage from Scotia Assist prior to your departure by calling 416-572-3636 or 1 877-391-7507. You will receive a separate certificate of insurance if you choose to purchase this coverage.
The Scotiabank American Express card can protect your travel investment with trip interruption insurance at no extra cost.
You, your spouse, and your dependent children travelling with either parent, and one travelling companion travelling with you or your spouse are insured for up to $2,500 per insured person (maximum $10,000 per trip) when you charge at least 75% of trip expenses to your Scotiabank American Express card.
Up to $250,000 Common Carrier Travel Accident Insurance
When you charge at least 75% of the full common carrier travel fares to your Scotiabank American Express Card, you, your spouse and unmarried dependent children will be automatically insured against accidental loss of life, or dismemberment. Valid common carrier fares include fares for any licensed public conveyance such as airplanes, cruise ships, trains or buses.
Rental Car Collision/Loss Damage Insurance
When you charge the entire cost of car rental to your Scotiabank American Express Card and decline the agency's collision damage waiver (or similar provision) at the time of rental, you'll be insured if your rental vehicle is damaged, or stolen.
Purchase Security and Extended Warranty Insurance
Most personal items purchased are automatically insured against theft, loss or damage anywhere in the world – as long as the full cost of the item is charged to your Scotiabank American ExpressCard. Coverage extends for the first 90 days from the date of purchase and is in excess of any other insurance coverage.
When you use your Scotiabank American Express Card to purchase most personal items and charge the full cost of the item to your Card, extended warranty coverage doubles the original manufacturer's warranty for up to one year. Items covered by a manufacturer's warranty of five years or more must be registered within the first year of purchase.
Price Protection Service
When you use your Scotiabank American Express Card to buy a new item in Canada that is offered for sale at a lower price within 60 days of purchase, the Price Protection Service pays you the price difference up to $100 per item and $500 per calendar year.
Minimum Credit Limit: $1,000
Interest-Free Grace Period: At least 21 days7
Primary Card Holder Annual Fee: $39
Additional Card Holder Annual Fee: $15
- 19.99% on purchases
- 22.99% on cash advances, balance transfers and Scotia® Credit Card cheques
Additional Savings with American Express SELECTSSM
American Express SELECTS is a great place to find a wide variety of special offers from across Canada. You can also discover some great merchant offers available to American Express Cardmembers internationally. No matter where you are, a great offer awaits you at American Express SELECTS! Whether it's shopping, dining, entertainment or travel, the American Express SELECTS site is regularly adding exciting new offers.
To view the complete of offers, visit americanexpress.ca/selects
With one simple application, you can have financial protection from a range of life events: Disability, Job Loss, Strike or Lockout, Critical Illness or loss of Life. A monthly benefit equal to 5%† of your outstanding credit card account balance can be paid to your credit card account if you are unable to work, which can help pay down your balance faster. In the event of a diagnosis of a covered Critical Illness++, or if you pass away, your outstanding credit card account balance can be paid in full, up to a maximum of $20,000.
This comprehensive coverage is available at a monthly premium rate of only $0.95 per $100 of average daily balance on your credit card account (plus any applicable sales tax). The affordable cost includes benefits for a Co-Borrower at no additional charge. The premium is conveniently charged to your credit card account to help ensure your coverage stays in place.
Approval is fast – contact us for details if you are a resident of Canada, and are at least 18 and under 65 years of age.
View more information or simply call 1-855-753-4272 between 8am and 8pm (EST) Monday to Friday and a Customer Service Representative will be pleased to assist you.
- † 5% of your outstanding credit card account balance up to 24 months to a maximum of $1,000 per month and a total maximum of $20,000 if you are unable to work due to involuntary Job Loss, Strike or Lockout or become disabled.
- ++ Critical Illness, Disability, Job Loss and Strike/Lockout coverage terminates at age 65, Life coverage terminates at age 70.
The information you need is always close at hand. Locally and wherever your travels take you, it's important that you have access to your account and your account information in a variety of ways:
Internet Banking - Visit Scotia OnLine® Financial Services at scotiabank.com
Telephone Banking - TeleScotia Telephone Banking 1-800-267-1234
ABM Machines - Worldwide look for machines displaying the Interac, American Express or LINK symbols
You can also use Scotia® Credit Card cheques to:
- Transfer balances from gas and retail cards that charge higher interest rates
- Pay for large purchases, insurance premiums or utility bills
Ready to Apply
- 1 You will earn 2 points per $1 on the first $50,000 in purchases made annually at American Express merchants classified in the American Express network as: Gas Service Stations and Automated Fuel Dispensers; Grocery Stores and Supermarkets; Eating Places and Restaurants, Drinking Places, Fast Food Restaurants; and Entertainment including Motion Picture Theaters, Theatrical Producers, Ticket Agencies, Bands, Orchestras and Miscellaneous Entertainers. Some merchants may sell these products/services or are separate merchants who are located on the premises of these merchants, but are classified by American Express in another manner, in which case this added benefit would not apply. You will earn 1 point per $1 on purchases made after you have reached the 2 points per $1 $50,000 annual spend maximum and on all other purchases made with the card. Points are not awarded for cash advances, Scotia®* Credit Card Cheques, Scotia Rewards Dollars, returns, payments, casinos and gambling, annual membership or card fees, interest charges or service transaction charges. Scotia Rewards points must be redeemed within 60 days of account closure or they will be deleted permanently. If your account is not in good standing, the accumulated Scotia Rewards points are not eligible for redemption. Read More
- 2 The 5,000 Scotia Rewards bonus points are awarded when you use your Scotiabank®* American Express® Card for a purchase within two months of open date and provided the account is open and in good standing. The points will appear as an adjustment on your Scotiabank®* American Express® Cardstatement within two statement cycles of your first card purchase. Offer applies to new accounts opened by October 31, 2015
- 3 Travel Booking Site and services provided by a duly licensed 3rd party travel agent: Altour International Inc.
- 4 You are eligible to redeem travel-related expenses on the Card made outside of Scotia Rewards Travel Service for points, provided that these travel-related expenses have not been previously claimed and your account is in good standing. In order to qualify, the travel-related activity must be associated with trips made on your Program Card and the charges submitted are recognized by our systems under the following American Express Merchant Category Codes or identifiers: airlines & air carriers – 4511; airports, flying fields, and airport terminals – 4582; lodgings, hotels, motels and resorts – 7011; trailer parks and campgrounds – 7033; passenger railways - 4112, bus lines – 4113; steamship and cruise lines – 4411; travel agencies and tour operators – 4722; automobile rental agency – 7512; motor home and recreational vehicle rentals – 7519; and include related taxes, booking fees, airport fees and travel insurance premiums.
Credit to your account cannot exceed the amount of the cost of the travel transactions submitted. A minimum of 5,000 points must be redeemed at one time. You will have 12 months to redeem these eligible travel-related purchases for points. Points cannot be redeemed once 12 months have elapsed from the date it was posted to your card account. It may take up to two statement cycles following the processing of your redemption request for the points to be credited to your account. You cannot have travel rewards reversed once your redemption request has been processed
- 5 Travel Privileges is brought to you by American Express with offers from participating American Express merchants. Lowest available rate refers to rates available across booking channels and must be available in the Global Distribution System during the booking date for the same booking being requested through Hotel Privileges and Luxury Hotel Privileges. Lowest available fare refers to the lowest published airfare at time of booking based upon search criteria. Minimum booking requirements may apply. Cancellation policies, payment policies, and all other booking conditions will be advised at the time of booking. Blackout dates may apply. All reservations and offers are based on availability and are subject to taxes and assessments. Offers are subject to merchants' standard booking requirements, terms, and conditions. Offer cannot be combined with other offers, promotions, discounts, or programs, and may not be redeemed for cash. Complete terms and conditions are available at scotiarewards.com
- 6 Insurance coverage is underwritten by American Bankers Insurance Company of Florida and/or American Bankers Life Assurance Company of Florida. Travel Emergency Medical Insurance is underwritten by American Bankers Life Assurance Company of Florida, except for travel in Cuba which is underwritten by Zurich Insurance Company Ltd The Bank of Nova Scotia is not an insurer. All claims for insurance indemnities must be forwarded to the respective insurers. Details of the coverage, including definitions, benefits, limitations, and exclusions are in the Certificate of Insurance provided with the card. Read the Certificate of Insurance then keep it in a safe place with your other valuable documents, and take it with you when you travel.
- 7 Not including cash advances, balance transfers and Scotia Credit Card cheques. Provided that you pay your balance in full by the payment due date.
- 8 For all insurance coverage, certain limitations, restrictions and exclusions apply. You will receive a Certificate of Insurance, which contains a full description of coverage. Please read them carefully. All claims for insurance indemnities must be forwarded to the insurers. The Bank of Nova Scotia is not an insurer.
- ® Registered trademarks of The Bank of Nova Scotia. American Express is a registered trademark of American Express. This credit card program is issued and administered by the Bank of Nova Scotia under license from American Express.
- SM American Express SELECTS is a Service Mark of American Express