Scotiabank American Express Card for travel
Is this the right card for you?
- Earn travel rewards up to 2x faster Earn 2x Scotia Rewards points for every $1 you spend at eligible gas stations, grocery stores, on dining and entertainment1
- Extraordinary travel benefits Receive discounts and other special amenities at hotels, on airfare, car rentals, cruises and vacation packages5
- Full Service Travel Agency Book online or call Scotia Rewards Travel Service3
- Flexible Point Redemption Purchase travel on your Scotiabank American Express Card from any travel provider, then call or go online to redeem your points for the travel purchase.4
- Comprehensive travel insurance Includes travel emergency medical (up to 8 days)6
- Merchandise and other rewards
- Eligible for Apple Pay
At a Glance
Pay no annual fee for the first year2
Earn travel rewards up to 2X faster1
- 1 You will earn 2 points per $1 on the first $50,000 in purchases made annually at American Express merchants classified in the American Express network as: Gas Service Stations and Automated Fuel Dispensers; Grocery Stores and Supermarkets; Eating Places and Restaurants, Drinking Places, Fast Food Restaurants; and Entertainment including Motion Picture Theaters, Theatrical Producers, Ticket Agencies, Bands, Orchestras and Miscellaneous Entertainers. Some merchants may sell these products/services or are separate merchants who are located on the premises of these merchants, but are classified by American Express in another manner, in which case this added benefit would not apply. You will earn 1 point per $1 on purchases made after you have reached the 2 points per $1 $50,000 annual spend maximum and on all other purchases made with the card. Points are not awarded for cash advances, Scotia®* Credit Card Cheques, Scotia Rewards Dollars, returns, payments, casinos and gambling, annual membership or card fees, interest charges or service transaction charges. Scotia Rewards points must be redeemed within 60 days of account closure or they will be deleted permanently. If your account is not in good standing, the accumulated Scotia Rewards points are not eligible for redemption. Read More
- 2 We will waive the initial annual fee for the primary card and additional cards for the first year. The regular annual fee is $39 for the primary card and $15 for each additional card. Offer applies to new accounts opened by January 31, 2017. Any additional cards must be issued by January 31, 2017, to qualify for the offer. The annual interest rates for the Scotiabank American Express Card are: 19.99% for purchases; and 22.99% for cash advances, balance transfers and Scotia Credit Card Cheques. Rates and fees are as of November 1, 2016 and are subject to change.
- 3 Scotia Rewards Travel Service and Travel Booking Site provided by a duly licensed 3rd party travel agent HRG (Hogg Robinson Group)
- 4 You can purchase eligible travel or related travel expenses at a travel provider other than the Scotia Rewards Travel Service (e.g., other travel agencies, tour operators and online travel websites) (the “Other Travel Suppliers”). These types of purchases at Other Travel Suppliers are called “Post Purchase Travel Redemptions”.
Scotia Rewards points are redeemable for Post Purchase Travel Redemptions made through your Program Card. To redeem Scotia Rewards points for a Post Purchase Travel Redemption at Other Travel Suppliers, the purchase must first appear (post) on the Program Card Account. Scotia Rewards Cardmembers can then redeem points towards the amount of the Post Purchase Travel Redemption charged to the Program Account through scotiarewards.com or by calling 1-800-665-2582.
The Post Purchase Travel Redemption must be charged on your Program Card Account and recognized by our systems with the Merchant Category Codes or identifiers: airlines & air carriers- 4511; airports, flying fields, and airport terminals-4582; lodgings, hotels, motels and resorts- 7011; trailer parks and campgrounds–7033; passenger railways- 4112; bus lines- 4131; steamship and cruise lines- 4411; travel agencies and tour operators– 4722; automobile rental agency- 7512; motor home and recreational vehicle rentals -7519. These Merchant codes/identifiers and categories are subject to change.
The Post Purchase Travel Redemption can include related taxes, booking fees, airport fees and travel insurance premiums.
You must redeem Scotia Rewards points within 12 months from the date when the Post Purchase Travel Redemption is posted to the Program Card Account (the posting date). It may take up to two statement periods for the points redeemed towards a Post Purchase Travel Redemption to appear as a credit on your Program Card Account. Points redeemed cannot be reversed once posted to the Account. To redeem Scotia Rewards Points towards your Post Purchase Travel Redemption, the Program Card Account must be open and in good standing.
The value of the points redeemed cannot exceed the amount of the Post Purchase Travel Redemption charged to your Program Card Account.
The minimum point redemption is 5,000 points (5,000 points is equivalent to $50 in travel savings) each time a redemption towards a Post Purchase Travel Redemption is made.
- 5 Travel Advantage is supplied by a third party (currently Hogg Robinson Canada Inc. (HRG) and subject to change).
- 6 Insurance coverage is underwritten by American Bankers Insurance Company of Florida and/or American Bankers Life Assurance Company of Florida. Travel Emergency Medical Insurance is underwritten by American Bankers Life Assurance Company of Florida, except for travel in Cuba which is underwritten by Zurich Insurance Company Ltd The Bank of Nova Scotia is not an insurer. All claims for insurance indemnities must be forwarded to the respective insurers. Details of the coverage, including definitions, benefits, limitations, and exclusions are in the Certificate of Insurance provided with the card. Read the Certificate of Insurance then keep it in a safe place with your other valuable documents, and take it with you when you travel.
- 7 Not including cash advances, balance transfers and Scotia Credit Card cheques. Provided that you pay your balance in full by the payment due date.
- 8 For all insurance coverage, certain limitations, restrictions and exclusions apply. You will receive a Certificate of Insurance, which contains a full description of coverage. Please read them carefully. All claims for insurance indemnities must be forwarded to the insurers. The Bank of Nova Scotia is not an insurer.
- 9 For Scotia Credit Card Protection, certain limitations, restrictions and exclusions apply. You will receive a Certificate of Insurance, which contains a full description of coverage. Please read them carefully. All claims for insurance indemnities must be forwarded to the insurers. The Bank of Nova Scotia is not an insurer.
- 10 Best available price guarantee on airfares is provided by HRG and is only available within 24 hours of time of booking. All offers are based on availability. Offers are subject to merchants’ standard booking requirements, terms, and conditions. Offer cannot be combined with other offers, promotions, discounts, or programs, and may not be redeemed for cash. Complete terms and conditions are available at scotiarewards.com. The Bank of Nova Scotia is not responsible for the best available price guarantee.
- ® Registered trademarks of The Bank of Nova Scotia. American Express is a registered trademark of American Express. This credit card program is issued and administered by the Bank of Nova Scotia under license from American Express.
- TM,® Used under license from American Express
- *Purchase must be charged in full to an American Express Card. Subject to availability and to event and ticketing agent terms, conditions, and fees. Not all seats are available. All sales are final. No refunds. No exchanges.
- The Bank of Nova Scotia and its affiliates are not responsible for fulfillment of offers under the American Express Invites program. All offers are provided and fulfilled by participating merchants and are subject to the specific terms and conditions of the respective merchant. American Express and its affiliates are not liable or otherwise responsible for any offer or experience made available under this program, and are not responsible for fulfillment, any changes or cancellation of any offer.
- ±The Scotiabank StartRight Program created for Canadian Landed Immigrants from 0-3 years in Canada, International Students and Foreign Workers.