Guaranteed Investment Certificates (GIC)
Choose the worry-free investment
With a GIC, your principal investment is safe and the interest rate can be fixed or variable for the term of the investment.
Prefer to talk to us?
Call your advisor at 1(800)953-7441.
Prefer to talk to us?
Call your advisor at
A non-redeemable GIC generally yields a higher return.More details about Non-Redeemable GICs
Cashable GICs are one-year term investments that can be cashed any time after 30 days without penalty.More details about Cashable GICs
Market Linked GIC
Now you can enjoy the potential for equity return with principal protection.More details about Scotiabank Equity-Powered GICs
Reinvest on the 3 or 4-year anniversary of your GIC and, if rates are rising, benefit from an increased interest rate.More details about Accelerated GICs
Get the 3 or 5-year interest rate on the full amount of your investment, even in year one.More details
Get a more attractive return than most short-term investments, with the flexibility to move your money if you need to.More details
Scotiabank Index Powered GIC1
Market Linked GIC
Get a higher potential rate of return tied to the performance of the S&P/TSX 60 Index2, up to a specified maximum.More details about Scotiabank Index Powered GIC
Gong Xi Fa Cai.
Happy Chinese New Year – Year of the Monkey. Get a 1.68%* 668-day GIC. For a limited time.Learn more
- 1 Formerly Scotia Stock Indexed GIC. Read more
- 2 Standard and Poor's" and "S&P" are trademarks of The McGraw-Hill Companies and have been licensed for use by The Bank of Nova Scotia and its subsidiary companies. "TSX" is a trademark of The Toronto Stock Exchange and has been licensed for use by The Bank of Nova Scotia and its subsidiary companies. Scotia Stock- Indexed GICs are not sponsored, endorsed, sold or promoted by Standard & Poor's or The Toronto Stock Exchange and neither party makes any representation regarding the advisability of investing in these products.
- 3 The last issue of the Market Powered GIC was issued on January 18, 2011.
- † This is the maximum potential cumulative interest rate over the entire term of the Canadian Growth Equity Powered GIC. At maturity, the interest rate to be earned is calculated and paid within certain predetermined ranges based on the price performance of the underlying basket of shares of Canadian companies. There is no minimum interest rate guarantee and actual interest rate could be as low as 0% over the 2-year term and 3-year term. Minimum investment is $1,000. These maximum potential interest rates are available from January 5 to February 1, 2016 and are subject for change. For full details, speak to a Scotiabank advisor or visit www.scotiabank.com/equitypowered. Scotiabank Equity Powered GICs are CDIC eligible.
- *GIC special rates apply only to non-redeemable GICs with the associated terms shown above and are not applicable to other GICs. These Special Rate GICs are available within registered, non-registered and TFSA portfolios. Interest is accrued daily on your GIC from the issue date up to, but not including, the maturity date. Also, interest will be paid / compounded for the leap day in a leap year. For Scotiabank GICs that pay interest during their term (monthly, semi-annually or annually) the last interest payment is paid at maturity. The value of a compounded GIC is paid to you on the maturity date. If the maturity date does not fall on a business day then the term of the GIC will be extended to the next business day and interest will be paid to that day. These Special Rate GIC offers are not to be used in conjunction with any other rate bonus or discretionary offers. The Bank of Nova Scotia, Scotia Mortgage Corporation, Montreal Trust Company, and National Trust Company each issue these Special Rate GICs. We reserve the right to change, extend or cancel these offers at any time without prior notice. A $1,000 minimum investment is required. A maximum investment of $5,000,000 per customer.