Disability Saving Plans (DSP)
Financial support for when you need it most.
Before the Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP), individuals and families had few options to plan and save for the financial well-being of an individual or family member with a disability. The RDSP is the first plan of its kind and, over the long term, will provide financial security and reduce poverty for individuals with disabilities.
Proceeds paid out of an RDSP will not affect eligibility for federal benefits such as the Canada Child Tax Benefit, the Goods and Services Tax credit, Old Age Security, or Employment Insurance.
All provinces and territories have announced a partial or full exemption of Registered Disability Savings Plan assets and income. This provides individuals with the assurance that, when they commence receiving income from their RDSP, it will have little or no impact on their provincial benefits. More information about provincial and territorial benefits from the Government of Canada.
RDSP Beneficiaries can now get a Basic Banking Account with no monthly fee1,2,3,4,5
What is an RDSP? How do they work? Who can contribute? What are the contribution limits? Get the facts on these questions and more.
To find out more access the following government links:
- RDSP information from the Canada Revenue Agency
- RDSP information from Employment and Social Development Canada
- Contact the Wealth Management Contact Centre at 1-877-929-4499 and talk to one of our investment specialists.
Government Disability Initiatives
The Government of Canada will contribute to a person's RDSP through the Canada Disability Savings Grant and Canada Disability Savings Bond.More details
Scotia® RDSP Products
Scotiabank offers a range of RDSP options; with a choice of investments that includes Cash/Savings, GICs and Mutual Funds.More details
Declaration of Trust Documentation
We encourage you to obtain the updated documentation that applies to your plan. Declaration of Trust for Scotia Disability Savings Plan (DSP) (65kb)
A Convenient Way to
Open Your DSP Today!
- PhoneCall one of our financial advisors
1 (877) 929-4499 Mon-Fri (8am-7pm)
1 (877) 929-4499
- 1The monthly fee discount only applies to the Basic Banking Account. If you need an account with more transactions and greater flexibility use our Account Selector tool to determine the account that best suits your needs. Read more
- 2 You are required to provide proof of eligibility to your local Scotiabank branch (a record of your status as a beneficiary of an active RDSP) before the monthly account fee will be waived on your Basic Banking Account.
- 3Additional fees paid before eligibility, may not be refunded.
- 4You are responsible for all transaction, service, and product fees not included with the Basic Banking Account monthly fee.
- 5If you no longer qualify to be the beneficiary of an RDSP, you are required to inform Scotiabank at which time the monthly account fee charges will commence.