Guaranteed Investment Certificate GIC Rates
- Rates are provided for information purposes only and are subject to change at any time. Read More
- The following rates apply to Canadian dollar deposits made in Canada.
- *** The 1.30% annual interest rate applies only to the Special Rate 12-month GIC. The 1.50% annual interest rate applies only to the Special Rate 18-month GIC. The 2.00% annual interest rate applies only to the Special Rate 30-month GIC. The 2.30% annual interest rate applies only to the Special Rate 5-Year GIC. These Special Rate GICs are available within registered, non-registered and TFSA portfolios. Interest is accrued daily on your GIC from the issue date up to, but not including, the maturity date. Also, interest will be paid / compounded for the leap day in a leap year. For Scotiabank GICs that pay interest during their term (monthly, semi-annually or annually) the last interest payment is paid at maturity. The value of a compounded GIC is paid to you on the maturity date. If the maturity date does not fall on a business day then the term of the GIC will be extended to the next business day and interest will be paid to that day. These Special Rate GIC offers are not to be used in conjunction with any other rate bonus or discretionary offers. The Bank of Nova Scotia, Scotia Mortgage Corporation, Montreal Trust Company, and National Trust Company each issue these Special Rate GICs. We reserve the right to change, extend or cancel these offers at any time without prior notice. A $1,000 minimum investment is required. A maximum investment of $5,000,000 per customer
- ^ Interest on early redemptions will be calculated on a daily basis at an early redemption interest rate which is provided in the table above for your reference. If the GIC principal amount is less than $5,000, then the minimum withdrawal amount is $1,000 and the remaining balance must be at least $1,000. If the GIC principal amount is $5,000 or greater, then the minimum withdrawal amount is $1,000 and the remaining balance must be at least $5,000. Note that there may be an adjustment to interest already paid for early redemptions.
- ^^ This is the annual interest rate if held to maturity.
- † This is the total maximum return potentially available over the full term of the GIC. It is not an annual rate or rate of return. Actual return may be lower. There is no guaranteed rate of return.
- ** For registered plans the interest payment frequency is at maturity, compounding annually.
- The Scotia Stock-Indexed GIC (SIGIC) is non-redeemable. The GIC issue amount (the principal amount initially invested plus any interim interest earned until the issue date) and interest, if any, will be paid on the maturity date. Changes to the S&P/TSX 60 Index will affect the amount of the potential interest payable. For SIGICs issued on or after January 13, 2009 and prior to November 20, 2007, potential interest is restricted by the applicable maximum return. For SIGICs issued from November 20, 2007 to January 12, 2009, potential interest is restricted by the applicable participation rate. For more information on this GIC, the S&P/TSX 60 Index, interest calculations and payments.
- The last issues of the US Market and G7 Scotia Stock-Indexed GICs were issued on January 12, 2009.
- Note: Enquire at your local Scotiabank branch for Non-registered GIC interest rates on terms of 6 to 10 years.
- †††Formerly Scotia Stock Indexed GIC
- ^^^ Between the day you purchase the Scotiabank Equity Powered GIC and the issued date, you will earn interest. For more information please refer to the Fact Sheet.
- ±The Minimum Guaranteed Interest Rate is an annual rate that is the minimum annual payment you will receive. The Minimum Guaranteed Interest Rate is compounded and paid at maturity for Scotiabank Equity Powered GIC - Canadian Guaranteed Return. The Minimum Guaranteed Interest Rate is not compounded for the Scotiabank Equity Powered GIC - Canadian Income and is paid annually.
- ††For Scotiabank Equity Powered GICs - Canadian Income, this is the maximum potential return in any given year of your term available from the basket of underlying shares, if any. The actual return may be lower and it is not guaranteed. No return in excess of the Minimum Annual Guaranteed Interest Rate will be paid if the average of the share returns of the shares is the basket of shares is lower than the Minimum Annual Guaranteed Interest Rate. You will receive an annual payment which will be calculated using the maximum of The Minimum Annual Guaranteed Interest Rate and The annual average of the Share Returns of the Basket. For all other Scotiabank Equity Powered GICs, Maximum Return is the maximum return related to the basket of underlying shares and does not include the annual minimum guaranteed rate. For Scotiabank Equity Powered GIC - Canadian Guaranteed Return, Scotiabank Equity Powered GIC - Canadian Growth and Scotiabank Equity Powered GIC- American Growth, the maximum return is not a rate of return or an annual rate. For more information on Scotiabank Equity Powered GICs, the underlying basket of shares, return calculations and payments, please see the Scotiabank Equity Powered GIC Fact Sheet.
- ±±Scotiabank Equity Powered GICs – Canadian Income is a non-redeemable GIC. The GIC issue amount (the principal amount initially invested plus any interim interest earned until the issue date) will be paid on the maturity date.