Our StartRight Program can make your new life in Canada easier
Every newcomer has a different reason for wanting to start a new life in Canada. Whatever your banking needs may be, we can help you achieve your hopes and dreams.
Get over $300 in banking benefits
With the Scotiabank StartRight Program1, receive $100 when you open an eligible account2.
Have your monthly fees waived on a Scotia One™ Account when you maintain a minimum daily balance3. A value of up to $155 per year.
Secure your valuables with a free small safety deposit box for a year4. A value of $55.
Apply for an unsecured Credit Card with no Canadian credit history required5.
Grow your savings with our no fee high interest savings accounts.
Get a specially designed mortgage solution to assist you in purchasing a home in Canada6.
See how we help new Canadians like you every day
Previous Button for carousel
Next button for carousel
"Scotiabank came to the rescue."
However you say "success," we speak your language.
New to Canada and want to start your own business? Calvin did when he moved here from Jamaica years ago. Watch our video, and see how the StartRight program and a Scotiabank advisor helped Calvin plan for the next exciting phase of his life.
"We said, 'Why not? We can do it.'"
However you say "new beginnings," we speak your language.
It's never too late to start a new life in Canada. Cesar and Elizabeth moved to here from Mexico to learn English, and their Scotiabank advisor was more than happy to answer all their financial questions—and in their native Spanish. Watch our video to learn more.
"Our financial advisor is really accommodating."
However you say "opportunity," we speak your language.
Enrico and Millete decided to move to Canada from the Philippines to provide a better future for their son, Lucas. Watch our video, and see how the StartRight program and a Scotiabank advisor can help you establish credit, a very important part of starting life in Canada.
"It was my first time out of home."
However you say "new beginnings," we speak your language.
Jay moved to Canada from India as a student to build a brighter future for himself. Watch our video, and see how the StartRight program and a Scotiabank advisor helped Jay invest his money and build his credit.
"My goal was to own a home in 3-years time."
However you say "home," we speak your language.
Owning your own home is a dream for many newcomers to Canada. Incredibly, Nonita was able to do it in only three years thanks to the StartRight program and her Scotiabank advisor. Watch our video, and see how StartRight can help your dream come true.
Scotiabank StartRight Customer Testimonial - Calvin
Scotiabank StartRight Customer Testimonial - Elizabeth & Cesar
Scotiabank StartRight Customer Testimonial - Enrico & Family:
Scotiabank StartRight Customer Testimonial - Jay
Scotiabank StartRight Customer Testimonial - Nonita
Starting your new life in Canada
Moving to a new country is filled with challenges, but it's much easier with our help. Here you'll find the tools to build credit, buy a house, and more.
Start building your credit
Establishing your credit history is essential to achieving your financial goals. Whether you want to buy a house, car, or even a cell phone, having good credit is crucial to your new life in Canada.
- The Scotiabank StartRight Program, created for Canadian Permanent residents from 0-3 years in Canada, International Students and Foreign Workers.
- Offer available when you open a new Scotia® Moneyback™ Account, Scotia One™ Account or Basic Banking Plan (each an "Eligible Account") with Scotiabank. Employees of the Bank of Nova Scotia ("Scotiabank") and individuals who are currently holders or joint holders of an Eligible Account, are not eligible. Maximum one offer per customer. The Eligible Account must be opened and be in good standing until time of payout. Eligible Account is not in "good standing" if (i) it has a negative balance exceeding the authorized overdraft limit, (ii) it is closed to service charges or (iii) it has an unauthorized overdraft written off status. The $100 bonus will be deposited into the Eligible Account within 120 days of the account opening. This offer is non-transferable and cannot be duplicated or combined with any other offer. Scotiabank may withdraw or change this offer at any time without notice. Please see the Day-to-Day Banking Companion Booklet for further details about these accounts and fees.
- For more information on the features and fees of this account, refer to www.scotiabank.com or in branch. The monthly fee of $12.95/month will be waived when you maintain a minimum daily balance of $3,500. This fee waiver is available to all Scotiabank customers.
- Subject to availability and signing the Safety Deposit Box lease.
- To be eligible, you must be a participant in the Scotiabank StartRight Program. Your application for credit and the credit limit assigned (up to $5,000) will be determined based on Scotiabank's credit criteria, including your verifiable income and credit history (if available). A credit history in Canada is not required in order to be eligible for credit under the Scotiabank StartRight Program. To qualify for a credit card, you must be a resident of Canada and the age of majority.
- Applicable to residential mortgages only and subject to meeting Scotiabank’s credit criteria, residential mortgage standards and maximum permitted loan amounts. Canada Guaranty, Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation or Genworth Financial Canada default insurance may be required for Loan to Value Ratios (LVRs) greater than 50% to a maximum of 95%. Maximum LVR’s available may be less than 95%. Down payment must come from applicant’s own resources (i.e. not gifted). This offer is for all qualified purchase customers who are Permanent Residents or Foreign Workers from 0-5 years in Canada. Some conditions apply.