Right for you if:
- You want competitive rates
- You are willing to have your funds locked-in
- Get a higher return A non-redeemable GIC generally yields a higher return.
- Choose better rates and increased flexibility
Pick terms from 30 days to 10 years for non-registered GICs, and 90 days to 5 years for RRSPs/RRIFs.
- Guaranteed interest rate and security of principal
Available as part of an RRSP, RRIF, TFSA, RESP, RDSP or Non-Registered portfolio.
Minimum investment of $1,000 ($5,000 for monthly interest payments)
Interest payment options ranging from monthly to annually.
Issued by the Bank of Nova Scotia, Montreal Trust Company of Canada, National Trust Company and Scotia Mortgage Corporation.
Can be renewed automatically on maturity.
View current GIC rates
GIC Rate Specials:
1 year special
18 month special
30 month special
Pre-book up to 14 days in advance on renewals and new purchase for non-registered plans. Pre-book on Special Non-Redeemable GIC rates is available for up to 3 days only.
Get guaranteed rates for up to 35 days prior to maturity, and 60 days for RRSP/RRIF transfers-in.
|Option||Term||Interest Payment Frequency||Minimum Investmnt|
|90-364 days||At Maturity||$1,000|
|1-5 years||Compounded semi-annually or annually and paid at maturity, paid monthly, semi-annually,or annually2||$1,000|
|Compounded semi-annually or annually and paid at maturity, paid monthly, semi-annually, or annually||$1,0003|
|U.S. Dollar||30-364 days
|At Maturity||U.S. $1,000|
|Paid annually||U.S. $1,000|
in buying GICs?
- *The 1.30% annual interest rate applies only to the Special Rate 1-year GIC, the 1.50% annual interest rate applies only to the Special Rate 18-month GIC, and the 2.00% annual interest rate applies only to the Special Rate 30-month GIC. These Special Rate GICs are available within registered, non-registered and TFSA portfolios. Interest is accrued daily on your GIC from the issue date up to, but not including, the maturity date. Also, interest will be paid/compounded for the leap day in a leap year. For Scotiabank GICs that pay interest during their term (monthly, semi-annually or annually) the last interest payment is paid at maturity. The value of a compounded GIC is paid to you on the maturity date. If the maturity date does not fall on a business day then the term of the GIC will be extended to the next business day and interest will be paid to that day. These Special Rate GIC offers are not to be used in conjunction with any other rate bonus or discretionary offers. The Bank of Nova Scotia, Scotia Mortgage Corporation, Montreal Trust Company, and National Trust Company each issue these Special Rate GICs. We reserve the right to change, extend or cancel these offers at any time without prior notice. A $1,000 minimum investment is required. Read More
- 1 All Canadian dollar GICs with terms greater than five years and all U.S. dollar GICs are not insured by the Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation or Régie de l'assurance-dépôts du Québec.
- 2 Equal payments available.
- 3 $5,000 minimum investment required if monthly interest payments requested