The quick and easy way to have immediate access to your money
Enjoy the peace of mind knowing your monthly bills are paid, and paycheques1 and pension cheques are automatically deposited into your account. Direct Deposit is easy and convenient to arrange and gives you immediate access to your money.
The Government of Canada is switching from cheques to direct deposit, an electronic transfer of funds deposited directly into your bank account. Unlike cheques, your direct deposit will always be on time.
Direct Deposit of Government Cheques
Here’s how you can enrol:
Option 1. Visit directdeposit.gc.ca and complete the enrolment form. To enrol you need:
- Your name, address and date of birth
- Your payment type(s) and the associated personal identifier(s), for example your Social Insurance Number (SIN) or your file number
- A void cheque or your bank account information
(No void cheque? No problem! Visit your nearest branch to get a stamp in Part C of the enrolment form.)
Option 2. You can also enrol in direct deposit on My CRA Account, My Service Canada Account or My VAC Account
Option 3. Forms are also available at your local branch.
Enrol in direct deposit today! It’s:
- Convenient — there is no risk of your money being held up as a result of unforeseen circumstances.
- Secure — your payment is safe and secure with virtually no risk of it being lost, stolen or damaged.
- Reliable — your payment will always be on time, and your money can begin to earn interest right away.
Government of Canada information officers are available to help you at 1-800-593-1666, in English and in French, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. or Thursday and Friday from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., Eastern Standard Time.
Prefer to talk to us?
Call us and let us help:
Adobe Acrobat Reader
You'll need Adobe® Acrobat® Reader™ installed on your computer to access PDF forms. Download a free copy
- 1 Note: Direct deposit paychecks into your account must be arranged with your employer.