Scotiabank is Canada’s international bank and a leading financial services provider in North America, Latin America, the Caribbean and Central America, and parts of Asia. We are dedicated to helping our 23 million customers become better off through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets. With a team of approximately 90,000 employees and assets of $856 billion (as at October 31, 2015), Scotiabank trades on the Toronto (TSX: BNS) and New York Exchanges (NYSE: BNS).
Scotiabank's continued growth and success is founded on several key factors:
- A committed team that shares the same values and works together to provide customers with expert advice, insights and financial solutions.
- A highly diversified and well-balanced business operating within a clearly defined global footprint.
- A strategy with a clear focus on three priorities that will help us build an even better Bank: being more focused on our customers; enhancing leadership depth, diversity and deployment; and being better organized to serve customers and reduce costs.
Our Core Businesses
Our strategy of diversification underpins our potential for sustainable earnings' growth in each of our business lines: Canadian Banking, International Banking and Global Banking and Markets, over the long term.
Canadian Banking provides a full suite of financial advice and banking solutions, supported by an excellent customer experience, to over 8.5 million Retail, Small Business, Commercial Banking, and Wealth Management customers. It serves these customers through its network more than 1,000 branches and some 3,900 automated banking machines (ABMs), as well as internet, mobile and telephone banking and specialized sales teams. Canadian Banking also provides an alternative self-directed banking solution to almost 2 million Tangerine Bank customers. Canadian Banking is comprised of the following areas:
- Retail and Small Business Banking provides financial advice, solutions and day-to-day banking products, including debit cards, chequing accounts, credit cards, investments, mortgages, loans, and related creditor insurance products, to individuals and small businesses. Tangerine Bank provides internet, mobile and telephone banking to self-directed customers.
- Commercial Banking delivers advice and a full suite of customized lending, deposit, cash management and trade finance solutions to medium and large businesses, including automotive dealers and their customers to whom we provide retail automotive financing solutions.
- Wealth Management provides a comprehensive suite of investment and wealth management advice, services, products and solutions to a wide range of clients, as well as advisors. The asset management business is focused on developing innovative investment solutions for both retail and institutional investors. The client-facing wealth businesses, including private client, online brokerage, full service brokerage, pensions, institutional client services and an independent advisor channel, are focused on providing a full suite of wealth management solutions to our clients.
Scotiabank has an international presence unmatched by other Canadian Banks and provides a full range of financial products, solutions and advice to retail, small business and commercial customers in Latin America, the Caribbean and Central America, and parts of Asia.
In partnership with our associated corporations in China, Curacao, Thailand and Venezuela, a full range of personal, commercial, wealth management and insurance services is provided to over 14 million customers through a network of close to 3,000 branches and offices, over 7,700 ABMs, mobile, internet and telephone banking, in-store banking kiosks and specialized sales forces.
Global Banking and Markets
Global Banking and Markets (GBM) provides clients with corporate banking, investment banking and capital markets solutions. GBM’s products and services are offered to corporate, government and institutional clients in Canada and in select international countries.
Global Banking and Markets conducts the Bank’s wholesale banking and capital markets business with corporate, government and institutional clients. GBM is a full-service lender and investment dealer in Canada and Mexico, and offers a wide range of products and services in the United States, Central and South America, and select markets in Europe and Asia. More specifically, GBM provides clients with corporate lending, equity and debt underwriting, mergers and acquisitions advisory, as well as fixed income and equity sales, trading and research, prime brokerage, securitization, foreign exchange, energy and rates hedging, and precious and base metals sales, trading and storage.
Corporate Social Responsibility
As Canada’s international bank, Scotiabank has a unique opportunity to make a positive economic, social and environmental impact in the countries in which it operates.
Scotiabank’s corporate social responsibility philosophy is to integrate sound environmental, social and governance practices into our day-to-day business activities. We measure our success not only in terms of financial criteria, but also in building customer satisfaction and employee engagement, and supporting the communities we serve.
Our community giving is an important component of our CSR efforts. In 2015, the Bank contributed CAD$67 million in donations and sponsorships to community causes around the world.