Scotiabank is a leading financial services provider in over 55 countries and Canada's most international bank. Since welcoming our first customers in Halifax, Nova Scotia, in 1832, Scotiabank has continued to expand its global reach. Today, through our team of more than 86,000 employees, Scotiabank and its affiliates offer a broad range of products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management, corporate and investment banking, to over 21 million customers.
Scotiabank's continued growth and success is founded on several key factors:
- A committed team that lives our shared values and works together to provide customers with expert advice, insights and financial solutions.
- A highly diversified and well-balanced business, operating within a clearly defined global footprint.
- A strategy with a clear focus on three priorities that will help us build an even better bank: being more focused our customers; enhancing leadership depth, diversity and deployment; and being better organized to serve customers and reduce costs.
Our Core Businesses
Our strategy of diversification underpins our potential for sustainable earnings growth in each of our four business lines: Canadian Banking, International Banking, Global Wealth & Insurance and Global Banking & Markets, over the long term.
Canadian Banking provides a full suite of financial advice and banking solutions, supported by an excellent customer experience, to over 7.7 million personal and business customers across Canada, through its network of 1,190 branches and offices, as well as 3,869 automated banking machines (ABMS), as well as internet, mobile and telephone banking, and specialized sales teams. Scotiabank also provides an alternative self-directed banking solution to 1.9 million Tangerine customers through internet, mobile and telephone banking.
Canadian Banking is comprised of the following areas:
- Retail and Small Business Banking provides financial advice, solutions and day-to-day banking products, including debit cards, deposit accounts, credit cards, investments, mortgages, loans, and related creditor insurance products, to individuals and small businesses.
- Commercial Banking delivers advice and a full suite of customized lending, deposit, cash management and trade finance solutions to medium and large businesses.
International Banking encompasses retail and commercial banking operations in 43 of the more than 55 countries outside Canada in which Scotiabank operates – an international presence unmatched by other Canadian banks. This business line has operations in Latin America, the Caribbean and Central America, and Asia. A full range of financial products, solutions, and advice is provided to over 14 million retail and commercial customers through a network of over 2,131 branches and offices, 4,748 ABMs (excluding affiliates), supplemented by additional products and services offered by Global Wealth & Insurance and Global Banking & Markets to meet customers' needs.
Global Wealth & Insurance
Global Wealth & Insurance combines the Bank's wealth management and insurance operations, in Canada and internationally, and Global Transaction Banking. Global Wealth & Insurance is diversified across geographies and product lines.
Global Wealth is an integrated business comprised of asset management and client-facing businesses.
The asset management business is focused on investment manufacturing and investment solutions for both retail and institutional investors. The global client-facing wealth business units include private client, online and full service brokerage, institutional client services and the independent advisor channel. Its focus is on providing advice and solutions for clients in Canada and internationally.
- Global Insurance has four main businesses in Canada: creditor, life and health, home and auto and travel. Internationally, a full range of creditor and non-creditor insurance products (life and health, home and auto, unemployment, universal life, retirement savings, fraud and assistance) are sold to Bank clients through a number of different Scotiabank channels.
- Global Transaction Banking offers comprehensive business solutions – cash management, payment services, electronic banking, business deposits, and trade services – on a global basis to the small business, commercial and corporate customers of the Bank. It also provides correspondent banking products and services to other financial institutions globally. The results of this unit are included in Canadian Banking, International Banking and Global Banking & Markets.
Global Banking & Markets
Global Banking & Markets (GBM) is the wholesale banking and capital markets arm of the Bank. It offers a wide variety of products to corporate, government and institutional investor clients. GBM is a full-service lender and investment dealer in Canada and Mexico and offers a wide range of products in the U.S., Central and South America, and in select markets in Europe and the Asia-Pacific region.
GBM provides corporate lending, equity and debt underwriting, and mergers and acquisitions advisory services, as well as capital markets products and services, such as fixed income, derivatives, prime brokerage, securitization, foreign exchange, equity sales, trading and research, energy and agricultural commodities and, through ScotiaMocatta, precious and base metals.
Corporate Social Responsibility
Scotiabank helps to build bright futures worldwide through ethical banking practices, environmental awareness and a commitment to communities.
Scotiabank's corporate social responsibility philosophy is to integrate sound environmental, social and governance practices into our day-to-day business activities. We measure our success not only in terms of financial criteria, but also in building customer satisfaction and employee engagement, and supporting the communities we serve.
The Scotiabank Bright Future Program is the Bank's global philanthropic vision. The Bank's multinational reach has provided a unique opportunity to help people around the world through corporate giving and employee volunteer programs that span six pillars: education, health, social services, arts and culture, sports and environment.
Our community giving is an important component of our CSR efforts. In 2013, the Bank contributed $62 million in donations and sponsorships to community causes around the world. We are also proud that our employees spent more than 424,000 hours volunteering and fundraising through our formal community programs.
"Through our customers' eyes" showcases how Scotiabankers around the world are earning our customers’ business every day.