Get Educated with Scotia iTRADE for a chance to win a $30,000 prize
- More trades,
- Like and Share to increase your odds
- Learn more
to earn more
Two Ways to Enter:
- New account option now closed: Open a new account by May 31, 2013, and fund the new account with at least $50,000 by June 30, 2013 and you'll automatically receive 5 ballots towards the contest draw†. Plus, receive up to 100 Free Trades and try Scotia iTRADE FlightDeskTM free for 60 days*.
- Once you have registered for the contest, each equities or options trade executed between April 8, 2013 and August 30, 2013 will count as 1 ballot towards the contest draw.
- Share the contest on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. For every connection you recommend who enters into the contest, you'll receive 1 ballot towards the contest draw.
† View complete contest Rules and Regulations.
- *Open a new Scotia iTRADE account ("Account") before May 31, 2013 and fund with at least $50,000 (cheque deposit or transfer of assets) by June 30, 2013 and the commissions associated with the first 100 trades placed by the holder of the Account within 60 days of the date the Account is activated and funded with at least $50,000 in the Account, will be waived to a maximum of $9.99 per trade in the currency of the Account (maximum total commission waiver of up to $999). Also get free access to Scotia iTRADE FlightDesk for 60 days from the date the Account is activated and funded with at least $50,000 in the Account. Customer must enter the promotional code SP-EDCON when submitting the New Account application to qualify. Offer valid only for the first Scotia iTRADE account opened by new Scotia iTRADE clients. Free trade credits and other Scotia iTRADE offers have no cash redemption value. This offer cannot be combined with any other promotional offer. Scotia iTRADE reserves the right to modify and/or cancel this offer at any time without notice in its sole discretion.
- The prize is suitable for all self-directed investors, whether you're a novice or advanced investor
- If you're a new client, you'll get $25,000 for your investment account! If you're an existing client, you'll get $25,000 that you can use to add to your investment portfolio
- Plus, you'll benefit from a mentorship program that lets you choose between an Investor program OR a Trader program delivered by Pro Market Advisors, an acclaimed education and training firm well-known in the industry
Regardless of whether you select an Investor program or a Trader program,
here's what you'll get:
Eight weekly one-on-one webinars1 done privately that are each 60-90 minutes long and will be recorded/archived and downloadable so you can keep a library of the program.
Here is the curriculum for each program:
Week 1: Charts for Investors
Candlestick chart patterns in daily and weekly timeframes. Key price analysis topics for longer term investment strategies. Volume as price confirmation.
Week 2: Technical Indicators for Investors
Moving averages for daily and weekly time frames. The pivot point for investors, including the chart time horizon, managing risk and order types. These topics will be introduced in context and covered in more detail in the next session.
Week 3: Risk Management for Investors
What are the three key questions that must be answered for every trade? Calculating risk and position size. Placing stop orders: how close or how far? Know how to accommodate price volatility.
Week 4: Stock Screening and Selection
Learn the two major approaches to stock selection and why you should favor one over another. Creating your stock screening objectives and how to program them into your screening tools. Web‐based versus software‐based screening tools.
Week 5: Market Sentiment Analysis, Exchange Traded Funds
Using various market indices you will learn to analyze the sentiment using technical analysis. Based on the analysis you will learn how to utilize Exchange Traded Funds to correctly position your portfolio for Bull, Bear and Neutral market conditions. Once the overall portfolio has been positioned you will learn how to purchase specialized ETFs such as: leveraged, inverse, sector, commodity, currency and international vehicles to work in a trading account.
Week 6: Buying Calls the Right Way
In this session you will learn the correct way to utilize the power of the Call option as a stock replacement strategy and a short-term speculative trading strategy. The option Greeks will also be introduced in this section as a way to do a "value comparison" between calls of differing time frames and exercise prices.
Week 7: Covered Calls/Buy Writes
In this session you are introduced to income producing strategies for Bullish and Neutral markets along with ways to benefit from time decay. You will learn how to search for technically strong, fundamentally sound dividend paying stocks and how to enhance the overall ROI though premium selling.
Week 8: Buying Puts the Right Way
In this session you will learn how to hedge an individual position or overall portfolio using the Put option along with how to capitalize on Bear market opportunities. The VIX (Volatility Index) is also introduced a way to gauge fear as a driving force in a Bear market.
Week 1: Candle Chart Analysis
- Understand the difference between candlestick chart definitions and the nuances that generate strong versus weak chart signals
- Sort through the scores of candlestick patterns and focus on the critical few. Which patterns require confirmation versus self ‐confirming? Which patterns indicate indecision, trend reversals or trend continuation?
Week 2: Technical Analysis for Traders
- Learn how to use volume as a confirmation to chart patterns
- Learn the three key approaches to identifying support and resistance in any market
- S1/S2 and R1/R2 drills
- Find the Role Reversal in your charts for key support and resistance identification
Week 3: Stock Screening and Selection
- Learn the two major approaches to stock selection and why you should favor one over another
- Creating your stock screening objectives and how to program them into your screening tools
- Web-based versus software-based screening tools
Week 4: Risk Management Strategies
- Risk management for stocks – what are the three key questions that must be answered for every trade?
- Placing stop orders- how close or how far? Know how to accommodate price volatility
- Sizing your position for stocks and exchange traded funds (ETFs)
Week 5: Buying Calls the Right Way
In this session you will learn the correct way to utilize the power of the Call option as a stock replacement strategy and a short‐term speculative trading strategy. The option Greeks will also be introduced in this section as a way to do a "value comparison" between calls of differing time frames and exercise prices.
Week 6: Covered Calls/Buy Writes
In this session you is introduced to income producing strategies for Bullish and Neutral markets along with ways to benefit from time decay. You will learn how to search for technically strong, fundamentally sound dividend paying stocks and how to enhance the overall ROI though premium selling.
Week 7: Buying Puts the Right Way
In this session you will learn how to hedge an individual position or overall portfolio using the Put option along with how to capitalize on Bear Market opportunities. The VIX (Volatility Index) is also introduced a way to gauge fear as a driving force in a Bear market.
Week 8: The Debit Spread
In this session you will learn the many advantages of the spread trade. The spread trade is the most common trade of the professional option trader and you will learn how to balance risk, reward and probability into your trading style.
Rick has presented in hundreds of seminars across the U.S. and around the world. His expertise covers technical analysis, market strategy and risk management. He is the principal author of the Amazon bestseller, Five Points for Trading Success (Wiley, 2007) and co-author of Trading By Numbers: Scoring Strategies for Every Market (Wiley, 2012).
Shawn Howell is an accomplished speaker, trader, author, and educator. He is a CBOE Master Instructor and co-founder of Pro Market Advisors, a consulting firm that serves as the primary educator for E-Trade. Over the past two decades, Shawn has held executive positions with some of the financial industry's leading brokerage and training firms including Charles Schwab, Investools and Thinkorswim Group. He is the co-author of Trading By Numbers: Scoring Strategies for Every Market (Wiley, 2012). He currently lives on the the central coast of California with his wife and two children where he continues to trade, consult, teach and design educational curriculum for traders at all levels.
• Trading by Numbers hardback book
• 20 topic, 10 ‐hour Webinar Series: Trading Essential (on Disc)
• Exchange Traded Funds Course Manual (PDF)
In addition to the eight weekly one-on-one webinars, the winner will be entitled to six strategy
check-ups to be completed no later than six months after the final education session.
View complete contest Rules and Regulations.
- 1Seminars are being provided to you for educational purposes only. The seminars are written and presented by independent third parties that are not affiliated with Scotia Capital Inc. or any of its affiliates. No information contained in the seminars has been endorsed or approved by Scotia Capital Inc., and Scotia Capital Inc. is not responsible for the content or for any third parties. No information at the seminars constitutes a recommendation by Scotia iTRADE to buy, sell or hold any security, financial product or instrument discussed therein. This information neither is, nor should be construed, as an offer, or a solicitation of an offer, to buy or sell securities by Scotia iTRADE. Scotia iTRADE does not make any determination of your general investment needs and objectives, or provide advice or recommendations regarding the purchase or sale of any security, financial, legal, tax or accounting advice, or advice regarding the suitability or profitability of any particular investment or investment strategy. You will not solicit any such advice from Scotia iTRADE and in making investment decisions, you will consult with and rely upon your own advisors and not Scotia iTRADE. You are fully responsible for any investment decisions that you make and any profits or losses that may result. Any information, data, opinions, advice, recommendations or other content provided by any third party are solely those of such third party and not of Scotia Capital Inc. or its affiliates, and Scotia Capital Inc. accepts no liability in respect thereof. No endorsement or approval by Scotia Capital Inc. or any of its affiliates of any third party product, service, website or information is expressed or implied by any information, material or content contained in or referred to in the seminars, on the Scotia iTRADE website or in any other Scotia iTRADE communication. Scotia iTRADE is a division of Scotia Capital Inc.