Scotia iTRADE® offers non-registered accounts to help you take advantage of higher interest rates, pay for purchases in cash, or borrow money against the investments in your brokerage account.
Great for taking advantage of higher interest rates on non-invested cash.
Earn even while you decide when and where to invest. Account features include:
- Great interest rates with no minimum balance requirements - Earn interest on your non-invested cash from the first dollar on any balance1
- Flexible - You can hold fixed income, fixed income mutual funds, and money market instruments in your account to maximize your investment options
- Available in both Canadian and U.S. dollars
Open a cash account if you intend to pay in full for each purchase with cash.2
The full amount required for all payments for trade purchases must be in your Scotia iTRADE account. Settlement periods vary depending on the securities traded. Funds required for the first trade purchase must be in the cash account before the order is placed.
Open a margin account to borrow money against investments in your account.2
When applying for a margin account, you can also apply to be approved for the following account features:
- Options Trading3
- Short Selling
Please note that minimum equity requirements apply to all Margin Accounts.
- 1 Annual interest rate in effect on April 12, 2012. Interest rate is subject to change at any time at Scotia iTRADE's discretion without prior notice. Interest is calculated on the daily closing balance and is paid monthly.
- 2 Using borrowed money to finance the purchase of securities involves greater risk than a purchase using cash resources only. If you borrow money to purchase securities, your responsibility to repay the loan and pay interest as required by its terms remains the same even if the value of the securities purchased declines.
- 3 Options involve risk and are not suitable for all investors. Prior to trading any options, please read the Risk Disclosure Statement for Futures and Options, found in the Scotia iTRADE Terms and Conditions brochure.