Reasons to Join
At Scotia iTRADE®, you can benefit from low commissions, a variety of online tools and resources, and trading and investing education. Whether you're a novice investor or experienced trader, you can find information and tools to help you manage your investments.
Learn more about our great savings and low commissions
Enjoy great savings when placing trades and take advantage of low commissions. Plus you can choose from a wide range of products and services for your trading and investing needs.
Visit Commissions & Fees to learn more.
See all of our options and choose the right one for you
Choose from one of our advanced trading platforms including:
- Scotia iTRADE Trading Desk™
- Scotia iTRADE FlightDesk®
- Scotia OnLine®
While each of the above platforms contains particular attributes that set it apart from the others, they all share the same basic features:
- Customizable layouts and data fields
- Multiple instances of each trading tool
- Drag and drop functionality
- Sidebars with compact trading panels
- Streaming real-time portfolio values
- Single sign on
Access our helpful resources to help you make the most of your investments
Get in-depth information and advanced tools to help you research investments, monitor your portfolio and keep up with the latest financial news, commentary and analysis.
Visit Tools & Research to learn more.
Take advantage of exclusive webinars3
It's easy to trade and invest with Scotia iTRADE®. Whether you're a first time investor or experienced trader, we provide access to free education3 on a broad range of topics to help you enhance your skills.
Check out our current list of Webinars3
Our Easy Transfer Service4 is available to assist you
With our Easy Transfer service4, you can easily transfer funds (in Canadian and U.S. currencies) between any Canadian bank account and Scotia iTRADE with a point and click, giving you immediate investing power precisely when and where you want it.
We offer comprehensive fraud protection to help safeguard your accounts.
Scotia Capital Inc. will cover the amount of the funds and securities unlawfully removed from your Scotia iTRADE account as a result of a fraudulent and unauthorized online transaction in your Scotia iTRADE account provided that you've met your security and other responsibilities.5
Great care is taken to ensure that all your electronic funds transfers are processed exactly as instructed. And in the unlikely event that your funds transfer is not sent as you have instructed, we will work with you to resolve the issue swiftly.4
Make the most of your trading and online investing needs
1000 Free Trades or $1000 Cash9
Reward yourself by opening a Scotia iTRADE account and benefit from getting up to 1000 free trades or $1000 cash.
Commission-free6 Online ETF Trading Take control of your investing with commission-free6 ETF trading. Choose from 50 available commission-free ETFs from iShares®8 and other leading Canadian ETF providers.7
A Buck a Bond**
Enjoy trading and investing at the low price of $1 a bond ($1 per $1,000 face value - $24.99 min / $250 max)**, have access to a competitive and extensive bond inventory, and know exactly what you're paying in commissions with no mark-ups or hidden fees.
Scotia iTRADE iClub
An invitation of memberhip to the Scotia iTRADE iClub will be extended to highly engaged clients on a quarterly basis. Members will receive a complimentary suite of benefits including access to FlightDesk – our most powerful trading and market data platform, a dedicated client service phone line and much more.
Ready to applyWhat do I need to apply?
What you may need:Close
- A ScotiaCard. You can obtain one at any Scotiabank branch.
- Name and contact information
- Social Insurance Number (with your Social Security Number for U.S. Citizens)
- A photocopy of your Canadian photo identification (Driver's License (both sides), Passport, Age of Majority Card, Citizenship Card, Permanent Residence Card)
- A Scotiabank deposit bank account or a cheque deposited and cleared from another Canadian Financial Institution
- Credit Bureau history extending back more than six months or photo identification verified by a Scotiabank employee
- Online Easy-to-follow steps. 100% safe and secure. Apply online
- Phone We'll help you complete your application 1-888-769-3723 Mon - Fri (8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. EST)
- In person Make an appointment at your local Scotiabank branch Find a branch Or visit an Investor Information Centre at:
48 Yonge Street, Toronto, ON
Mon - Fri (8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. EST)
44 King Street West, Toronto, ON,
Scotia Plaza (Lower Concourse)
Mon - Fri (8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. EST)
- * To qualify for commissions of $4.99 flat per Canadian or U.S. equities trade and $4.99 + $1.25/contract for each options trade, you must, during the immediately preceding calendar quarter, execute at least 150 commission-generating equity or options trades and you must be registered for paperless documentation for all of your Scotia iTRADE accounts for all document types. To qualify for commissions of $6.99 flat per Canadian or U.S. equities trade and $6.99 + $1.25/contract for each options trade, you must, during the immediately preceding calendar quarter, execute at least 150 commission-generating equity or options trades. To qualify for commissions of $9.99 flat per Canadian or U.S. equities trade and $9.99 + $1.25/contract for each options trade, you must, during the immediately preceding calendar quarter, execute at least 30 commission-generating equity or options trades or have a minimum of $50,000 in combined Scotia iTRADE® account assets. Commission-generating trades are buys and sells of: Equities, Options, Mutual Funds subject to commissions and Fixed Income instruments. Buys and Sells of GIC's, ETFs which do not generate a commission, Canada Savings Bonds and Provincial Savings Bonds are examples of trades that are not commission-generating. You must re-qualify each calendar quarter. New qualification status will be effective on the second business day of the calendar quarter. Fees for U.S. transactions are charged in U.S. dollars.
- ** $1 per $1,000 Face Value ($24.99 minimum, $250 maximum). Pricing applies to secondary market trades conducted online through Scotia iTRADE only. Minimum commission of $24.99 applies to each trade. Add $50.00 for telephone representative – assisted trades. Foreign exchange fees will be applied to trades involving securities that are denominated in a currency other than the currency of the account in which the trade is placed. Please visit scotiaitrade.com, "Help Centre – Converting Funds between Currencies", for more information.
- 1 Fees for U.S. transactions are charged in U.S. dollars. Equity transaction with a principal value of less than $2,000 will be charged either a flat fee of $4.99 per trade, $6.99 per trade, $9.99 per trade or $24.99 per trade, depending upon the pricing tier for which you have qualified.
Equity transactions with a share price of $1.00 or less will be charged either a flat fee of $4.99 per trade, $6.99 per trade, $9.99 per trade or $24.99 per trade, depending upon the pricing tier for which you have qualified.
Full commission charges apply for each partial fill except when transacted on the same business day. If you place multiple orders for the same stock on the same day, same side of the market and same exchange, these trades will not be abridged and you will be charged a separate commission fee for each trade executed. A single trade confirmation will be issued to you to reflect these trades, and the commission fees charged with respect to each of these executed trades will be aggregated and displayed on the trade confirmation as one aggregate commission fee. Add $50.00 for telephone representative – assisted trades.
U.S. Extended-Hours trades executed through the Scotia iTRADE website are charged the equity commissions set out in the pricing tier + ECN Fee of $0.005 per share.
- 2 Fees for U.S. options are charged in U.S. dollars. Full commission charges apply for each partial fill except when transacted on the same business day. Full commission charges apply for each order. Full commission charges apply to each side of spread and combination orders. The broker-assisted-equity fee schedule applies to all assignments and exercises. Add $50.00 for telephone representative – assisted trades.
Note: You may have noticed a small transaction fee that appears on your confirmation slip as an "SEC Fee". This fee is always separate from any commissions or other fees you are charged. The SEC charges a fee at a rate equal to $25.70 per million gross of the total dollar amount of securities sold (other than index-based options, bonds, debentures and other evidences of indebtedness). This SEC Fee is only applied to U.S. sell transactions.
- 3 Unless otherwise expressly stated by Scotia iTRADE®, webinars and other educational tools and resources (collectively, "Content") are provided by independent third parties that are not affiliated with Scotia Capital Inc. or any of its affiliates. Scotia Capital Inc. and its affiliates neither endorse or approve nor are liable for any third party, third party products or services, third party Content, or investment loss arising from any use of the Content, including third party Content. Content is for general information and educational purposes only, is not intended to provide personal investment advice and does not take into account the specific objectives, personal, financial, legal or tax situation, or particular needs of any specific person. No information contained in the Content constitutes a recommendation by Scotia Capital Inc. to buy, hold or sell any security, financial product or instrument discussed therein. The information contained in the Content neither is nor should be construed as an offer or a solicitation of an offer by Scotia Capital Inc. to buy or sell securities. Scotia iTRADE does not make any determination of your general investment needs and objectives, or provide advice or recommendations regarding the purchase or sale of any security, financial, legal, tax or accounting advice, or advice regarding the suitability or profitability of any particular investment or investment strategy. You will not solicit any such advice from Scotia iTRADE and in making investment decisions you will consult with and rely upon your own advisors and not Scotia iTRADE and will seek your own professional advice regarding the appropriateness of implementing strategies before taking action. Scotia iTRADE does not provide investment advice or recommendations and you are fully responsible for your own investment decisions and any profits or losses that may result. Any information, data, opinions, views, advice, recommendations or other content provided by any third party are solely those of such third party and not of Scotia Capital Inc. or its affiliates, and Scotia Capital Inc. accepts no liability in respect thereof. No endorsement or approval by Scotia Capital Inc. or any of its affiliates of any third party product, service, website or information is expressed or implied by any information or material contained in or referred to in the Content, on the Scotia iTRADE website or in any other Scotia iTRADE communication. Scotia iTRADE is a division of Scotia Capital Inc.
- 4 Account transfer of ATON qualifying transfers from another Canadian broker is guaranteed within 10 business days of receipt of properly completed and signed transfer documentation, or your account will be credited with 5 free equity trades. Free trades under this offer will be credited back to your account within 30 days of each order fill, to a maximum of $9.99 per trade in the currency of the account. Free trade credits are valid for trades placed within 30 days of the date this offer is activated. Free trade credits and other Scotia iTRADE offers have no cash redemption value. This offer can be combined with other promotional offers.
When you use our online Easy Transfer service for fund transfers to and from your Scotia iTRADE brokerage accounts, you can rest assured your fund transfers will be executed according to your properly submitted instructions. For further information on our Easy Transfer service, visit www.scotiaitrade.com.
- 5 Scotia Capital Inc. will restore to your account the amount equal to the amount of cash and/or securities unlawfully removed from your Scotia iTRADE account through a fraudulent and unauthorized online transaction, 3 valued at the time of the transaction, where it can be shown to Scotia Capital Inc.'s satisfaction that you have been a victim of fraud without your authorization, acquiescence or knowledge, provided that you have, at all times: (i) ensured that any computer you use to access your Scotia iTRADE account has up-to-date anti-spyware and anti-virus software, and an up-to-date firewall, (ii) logged-out and closed your browser after every use, (iii) checked your online account activity, trade confirmations and monthly statements regularly and promptly reported discrepancies and suspicious or unusual activity to us, 2 (iv) protected your User ID and Password from unauthorized use by following our recommended practices,3 and (v) followed the security practices located under "Security Tips" at www.scotiaitrade.com. The Scotia iTRADE Fraud Protection offer does not apply to telephoned transactions or to clients who use Teletrader services.
Coverage under the Scotia iTRADE Protection Guarantee does not include attorney's fees, tax consequences, third party claims or any special, indirect, incidental, consequential, punitive, aggravated or exemplary damages of any kind, including but not limited to lost profits and lost opportunities.
If you fail to take corrective actions when fraud has occurred and your Scotia iTRADE accounts or assets are further compromised, then Scotia Capital Inc. will not be responsible for any losses you sustain as a result of the subsequent identity theft or unauthorized activity that occurs.
Scotia Capital Inc. may amend the terms and conditions of, or revoke or terminate the Scotia iTRADE Protection Guarantee at anytime without notice.
- 6 Refers to Scotia iTRADE's brokerage commission for online trade execution only. Does not take into account fees, charges, expenses or commissions imposed by the fund companies, all of which can be associated with ETF investments. You should carefully consider the fund's investment objectives, risks, fees, charges, expenses and commissions before investing. The prospectus contains this and other important information about the fund. Please read the prospectus carefully before investing. Funds are not guaranteed, their values change frequently and past performance may not be repeated. For a list of ETFs eligible for our "commission-free" offer ("Eligible ETFs"), click here. In order to qualify, trades of Eligible ETFs must be placed online or via Teletrader. You will be charged our regular equity commission (from $4.99, $6.99, $9.99, or $24.99 +0.03/share) depending on the pricing tier for which you qualify – see online fee schedule) on the sale of any Eligible ETFs held for less than 1 business day. Add $50.00 for telephone representative – assisted trades. List of Eligible ETFs is subject to change without notice. Scotia iTRADE reserves the right to modify or cancel this offer at any time without notice.
- 7 This advertisement has been paid for in part by BlackRock Investments Canada Inc. (BlackRock). Scotia iTRADE does not provide investment advice or recommendations and you are responsible for your own investment decisions and any losses that may result. This offer is not and should not be construed as investment advice or a recommendation to buy, sell or hold any particular security or to follow any particular investment strategy. No ETF product, or any information provided by or available through BlackRock or any other ETF provider, has been endorsed, validated or approved by Scotia Capital Inc. or its affiliates, and neither Scotia Capital Inc. nor any of its affiliates is responsible or liable therefore, or for any third party products, opinions, information or prospectus content.
- 8 iShares® is a registered trade-mark of BlackRock Institutional Trust Company, N.A. Used under license. BlackRock® is a registered trade-mark of BlackRock, Inc. Used with permission.
- 9 Conditions apply. Offer valid for new and existing Scotia iTRADE® accounts, excluding Cash Optimizer Investment accounts. If you (i) open one or more NEW ScotiaiTRADE account(s) (each, a “New Account”) by September 13, 2015 and fund the New Account(s) by October 13, 2015 with at least CAD $15,000/$50,000/$100,000/$250,000/$500,000/$1,000,000 (respectively) in cash or in Net Equity (cheque deposit, electronic funds transfer or transfer of assets) (“Minimum Amount”), from an account that is not held at Scotia iTRADE or transfer cash and/or assets with net value equal to the Minimum Amount into your existing Scotia iTRADE account(s) from an account that is not held at Scotia iTRADE by October 13, 2015 and (ii) then maintain the Minimum Amount in assets that you deposited in your New Account(s) or in your existing account(s) during the entire period between the date when you funded your New Account(s) or existing account(s) and January 13, 2016 (the “Required Period”) (1) $50/$100/$250/$350/$500/$1,000 (respectively, based on minimum amount funded) cash will be deposited directly into your new or existing applicable account by February 13, 2016 OR the commissions associated with the first 50/100/250/350/500/1,000 (respectively, based on minimum amount funded) online commissionable trades of Equities, Options and ETFs placed within 120 days of the date when you funded your New Account(s) or existing account(s)with the appropriate Minimum Amount will be credited back to the your new or existing applicable account to a maximum amount of $9.99 per trade in the currency of the account (maximum total commission rebate of $499.50/$999/$2497.50/$3496.50/$4995/$9990 (respectively, based on minimum amount funded); (2) you will get free access to Scotia iTRADE FlightDesk® for a minimum of 90 days from the date when you funded the New Account(s) or existing account(s) with the Minimum Amount and (3) the amount of the transfer-in fee charged by another Canadian broker will be credited to your New Account or existing account by February 13, 2016 (up to $150 per client) subject to Scotia iTRADE’s receipt of the documentation evidencing such transfer-in fee. Scotia iTRADE reserves the right to charge you all or part of the commissions associated with the first 50/100/250/350/500/1,000 (respectively, based on minimum amount funded) online trades completed within 120 days of funding your New Account(s) or existing account(s) (when such commissions were previously credited back to your New Account(s) or existing account(s)) if the conditions of the offer, including but not limited to, the requirement to maintain the appropriate Minimum Amount in your New Account(s) or existing account during the Required Period, are not complied with. If you fund the New Account(s) with,or transfer to the existing account(s), at least CAD$100,000 by October 13, 2015 and then maintain at least $100,000 in assets that you deposited in your New Account(s) or in your existing account(s) during the Required Period you will also get the free 6-month Gold subscription to KeeneOnTheMarket.com. Scotia iTRADE reserves the right to cancel your 6-months subscription if the conditions of the offer, including but not limited to, the requirement to maintain the required amount in your New Account(s) or existing account during the Required Period, are not complied with. For more information about the free 6-month Gold subscription to KeeneOnTheMarket.com, please visit KeeneOnTheMarket.com. Scotia iTRADE reserves the right to modify and/or cancel this offer at any time without notice in its sole discretion. New clients must enter the promotional code THSP15 for the free trades offer OR RNYDMN for the cash back offer when submitting the New Account application to qualify. Existing clients must call 1-888-769-3723 by September 13, 2015 to qualify. Any request to enroll received after September 13, 2015 will not qualify for this promotion. To qualify for this offer, you must be eligible to open a Scotia iTRADE account, maintain all of your accounts at Scotia iTRADE in good standing, not be in a disallowed debit position and not have any outstanding margin calls due. This offer has no cash redemption value. This offer cannot be transferred or combined with any other promotional offer (excluding Refer-A-Friend). Limited to one offer per client. In case of joint account only one account holder will be entitled to receive cash back or free trades.