Scotia Travel Insurance
The plan if things don’t go as planned
Travelling can be a great way to experience something new. The ordinary becomes extraordinary and surprises can be part of the fun.
But what if you get ill or injured? Medical attention could cost thousands of dollars – and you could be stuck with the bill. That’s why there’s Scotia Travel Insurance. If you need emergency medical care while travelling, we can help take care of the cost1.
We have several travel insurance plans available to best suit your needs:
These plans provide you with emergency medical coverage in the event of an unexpected injury or illness.
Scotia Single Trip Emergency Medical Plan
When you are taking only one trip, this plan is ideal. There is also no age limit for this plan.
Scotia Single Trip Canadian Travel Emergency Medical Plan
Provincial health insurance plans have reimbursement limits on emergency medical expenses incurred while you are in another province. To ensure you have the protection you need, you should purchase additional medical coverage even while travelling within Canada. This plan is offered at 50% off the regular Single Trip Emergency Medical Plan rate.
Scotia Multi Trip Emergency Medical Plan
If you are travelling more than once in a 12 month period, a Multi Trip plan provides coverage for an unlimited number of trips over a one year period. Options for trip durations include 4, 10, 18, 30 and 60 days. You typically only have to travel twice in one year and the cost of your Multi Trip plan may pay for itself.
Scotia Single Trip Cancellation & Interruption Plan
If you must cancel your trip due to an unexpected covered event1, this plan provides you with coverage up to the sum insured for your non-refundable and non-transferable pre-paid travel expenses.
If your trip is interrupted due to a covered event1, this plan provides you with reimbursement for your unused travel arrangements that are non-refundable and non-transferable, up to the covered amount.
In addition, the insurer can pay your additional and unplanned hotel and meal expenses, and your essential phone calls and taxi fares, to a maximum of $300 per day for up to two (2) days when no earlier transportation arrangements are available; and/or the insurer can pay your one-way economy class airfare via the most cost effective itinerary to your or your group’s next destination, or to return home.
The insurer can also pay for the change fee charged by the airline for your missed connection if this option is available, or up to $1,000 for the cost of your one-way economy airfare to the next destination.
Scotia All Inclusive Plan (Single & Multi Trip)
This plan provides you with Emergency Medical Insurance, Trip Cancellation & Interruption insurance, Baggage Loss, Damage & Delay insurance, and Flight & Travel Accident insurance for your trip.
Provides Emergency Medical Insurance for Canadian students studying outside their province or territory of residence or outside Canada.
Scotia Travel Insurance includes a number of benefits to help you in dealing with unexpected challenges during your travel outside your province or territory of residence or Canada.
Benefits available include:
Emergency Medical Insurance1
Provides up to $10,000,000 for expenses as a result of emergency medical attention required during your trip.
- Hospital and emergency treatment;
- Expenses to bring you home;
- Ambulance transportation
Trip Cancellation/Interruption only plan1
Trip Cancellation & Interruption insurance provides reimbursement up to the covered amount purchased.
In addition, if your trip is interrupted, the insurer can pay your additional and unplanned hotel and meal expenses, and your essential phone calls and taxi fares, to a maximum of $300 per day for up to two (2) days when no earlier transportation arrangements are available; and/or the insurer can pay your one-way economy class airfare via the most cost‑effective itinerary to your or your group’s next destination, or to return home.
The insurer can pay for the change fee charged by the airline for your missed connection if this option is available, or up to $1,000 for the cost of your one-way economy airfare to the next destination.
All Inclusive (Single & Multi Trip)1
- Emergency Medical insurance provides up to $10,000,000 for expenses as a result of emergency medical attention required during your trip.
- Flight Accident insurance provides $100,000 in case of death or double dismemberment, or $50,000 for single dismemberment.
- Travel Accident insurance provides $50,000 in case of death or double dismemberment, or $25,000 for single dismemberment.
- Trip Cancellation / Interruption for:
- Single Trip All Inclusive plans - up to $3,500 for eligible expenses;
- Multi Trip All Inclusive plans - up to $3,500 per trip and $6,000 per policy for eligible expenses.
- Baggage Loss and Damage insurance provides up to $1,000 per trip (up to a maximum of $3,000 per policy for a Multi Trip Plan) for loss or damage to your baggage. Baggage Delay insurance provides up to $500 per trip (up to a maximum or $1,500 per policy for a Multi Trip Plan).
Scotia Travel Insurance has discount options available to you. Take advantage of offers including:
- 50% Canadian Travel Savings: Enjoy savings when all your travel is within Canada.
- 5% Travel Companion Savings applies to all plans available to Travelling Canadians: Ask us if this is available on your selected plan.
- Family Coverage1 for any Emergency Medical Plan: Available for a spouse and dependent children when all family members are under age 60.
- Savings Combinations: All savings can be combined, except the Family Coverage and Travel Companion savings which cannot be combined.
- Deductible Savings Options: Ask us if your selected plan is eligible for deductible savings.
Conditions, limitations and exclusions apply.
Scotia Travel Insurance, distributed by the BNS Insurance Agency Inc., is underwritten by The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company and First North American Insurance Company, a wholly owned subsidiary of Manulife.
The Bank of Nova Scotia receives an administration fee from the insurer to distribute travel insurance products.