Among the oldest in Canadian banking and in North American business, the Scotiabank Archives was officially established in 1967 to acquire and manage the Bank's archival assets.
Acquisitions began as early as 1900, when members of the Bank began collecting records informally in order to publish the company's first history book. By the time a second history book was published on the occasion of the Bank's Centennial in 1932, records were scattered throughout the Bank's various branches.
It was not until 1951, when the Bank began operating out of what was then called the new Bank of Nova Scotia General Office Building, located at 44 King Street West, when material began to be transferred to the General Office on a regular basis and reorganized into a formal collection of documents known as the Archives. Economist and research librarian Betty Hearn spearheaded the initiative of regrouping and organizing the records and became the Bank's first Librarian/Archivist in 1960.
Upon her retirement in 1967, Margot Dixon was hired as the Bank's first full-time Archivist.
Today, the Archives continues to preserve the Bank's history.
How to Donate Records