Verified by VISA
The best way to shop worldwide
Right for you if:
- You shop online
- You want added security
- The best way to shop worldwide
- Added security for your online VISA card purchases
- Great service at no additional charge
- Simple activation
Enhance your existing VISA card with a personal password of your choice, which is strictly confidential between yourself and Scotiabank. When you shop at participating online sites, you enter your password in the same way you would enter your PIN at an ABM. This ensures that only you can use your VISA card online.
Activation only takes minutes. Once you've activated, you'll be ready to shop online with confidence. There's no downloading, no special software, and no service charge for the Verified by VISA service - just added security when purchasing online.
- Use your Scotiabank VISA card to make a purchase at participating online stores as your normally would
- A Scotiabank Verified by VISA window will appear, Simply enter your secret Verified by VISA password
- Scotiabank will verify your password and you can complete your transaction with confidence
Activate Your Scotiabank VISA Card
- Visit Scotiabank Verified by Visa online
- Enter your Scotiabank VISA card number
- You will be asked to provide basic information in order to activate the program
- Once verified, select a password to be used when making online purchases
- Primary and supplementary cardholder(s) activate Verified by VISA on their Scotiabank VISA Cards separately with their own unique password
- Once your card is activated, your card number will be recognized whenever you purchase at participating online stores
Note: Stores that are not yet participating in Verified by VISA, your Scotiabank VISA card will continue to work as usual.
Participation in the Verify by VISA program is voluntary, and you will not be penalized if you choose not to activate. However, if you do not activate, you may no longer be able to shop online at websites that participate in the program. Look for the Verified by VISA logo on their website to determine if a store is participating in the program.
At a Glance
Free of Charge
Enjoy Added security When You Shop Online
Welcome and thank you for choosing to use the Verified by Visa service ('Verified by Visa') from Scotiabank. Please read this Terms of Service Agreement carefully before using Verified by Visa. In this Agreement, 'we,' 'us,' or 'our' refers to Scotiabank, and 'you,' 'your,' or 'yours' refers to the Scotiabank VISA cardholder using Verified by Visa. This Terms of Service Agreement supplements our cardholder agreement with you. In addition to this Terms of Service Agreement, Verified by Visa also is subject to the cardholder agreement governing the card transactions for which Verified by Visa is used.
- Acceptance of Terms
- Verified by Visa provides its service to you, subject to the following Terms of Service ('TOS') and our cardholder agreement with you governing the card transactions for which Verified by Visa is used.
- You agree that creation of a Verified by Visa account password, and/or use of Verified by Visa, will represent your acceptance of this TOS and that continued use of Verified by Visa after you have been advised of revisions to this TOS shall constitute your agreement to such revised terms and any applicable posted guidelines or rules.
- Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any new features that augment, enhance or otherwise change Verified by Visa shall be subject to this TOS.
- Scotiabank reserves the right at any time and from time to time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, Verified by Visa (or any part thereof) with or without notice.
- Upon our request, you agree to sign a non-electronic version of this TOS.
- Description of Verified by Visa
- Verified by Visa provides you with a way of increasing security in online and other transactions for which Verified by Visa is used by reducing the chances of fraud for those transactions. Activating Verified by Visa involves providing personal information to us, which is then used to confirm your identity in connection with future online transactions or other transactions for which Verified by Visa is used, as discussed in more detail in Section 5 below. Verified by Visa also may be used for record keeping and reporting purposes, as well as to help resolve any transaction disputes. Your Activation Data, as defined in Section 3(b), and other personal information is not shared with the merchant, as discussed in more detail in Section 6 below.
- Your Activation Obligations
- You agree to (i) provide true, accurate, current and complete information about yourself as prompted by the Verified by Visa activation form ('Activation Data'). If you provide any Activation Data that is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, or if we have reasonable grounds to suspect that your Activation Data is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, we have the right to suspend, terminate, or refuse your current or future use of Verified by Visa.
- In order to use Verified by Visa, you must provide certain information to us that allows us to validate your identity and verify that you are the owner of or an authorized user of the specified Scotiabank VISA card(s). The information that you provide may be validated against information we already have on file that is associated with you, your credit card(s), information we receive from one or more third parties, or information maintained by a third party.
- If you are unable to provide adequate information for us to validate your identity, we have the right to not allow you to activate Verified by Visa. You warrant that the information is correct and that you have the legal right to use the Scotiabank VISA card(s) that you activate for Verified by Visa.
- If you do not successfully activate Verified by Visa, Scotiabank and/or the merchant may not accept your Scotiabank VISA card in payment for an e-commerce or other transaction subject to Verified by Visa.
- In order to use Verified by Visa, you must have the ability to access the World Wide Web and must pay any service fees associated with such access. In addition, you must have the equipment necessary to make such a connection to the World Wide Web, including a computer and modem or other access device.
- During activation of Verified by Visa, you may be asked to select a password and hint-and-response question and answer. When engaging in an online transaction or other transaction for which Verified by Visa is used, you may be asked for your Verified by Visa password before the merchant accepts your VISA card in payment for the transaction. If you are unable to provide your Verified by Visa password, or if the authentication through Verified by Visa otherwise fails, the merchant may not accept your Scotiabank VISA card in payment for that transaction.
- By activating Verified by Visa, you assent to the use of Verified by Visa to evidence your identity, including for purposes of authorization of transactions authorized in advance to recur at substantially regular intervals.
- Verified by Visa stores your Activation Data. Your Activation Data will not be shared with online retail merchants or merchants in other transactions for which Verified by Visa is used.
- You acknowledge and agree that Verified by Visa may keep your Activation Data and also may disclose your Activation Data if required to do so by Applicable Law, as defined in Section 8(a)(ix), in the good faith belief that such preservation or disclosure is permitted by Applicable Law, or as reasonably necessary to (i) comply with legal process or (ii) enforce this TOS.
- Cardholder Password and Security
You are solely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password, Activation Data and other verification information established by you with Verified by Visa, and all activities that occur using your password, Activation Data or other verification information supplied to or established by you with Verified by Visa. You agree not to transfer or sell your use of, or access to, Verified by Visa to any third party. You agree to immediately notify us by contacting us, as we require in our cardholder agreement with you for a lost or stolen card of any unauthorized use of your password or other verification information, or any other breach of security. You will be liable for any unauthorized activity involving use of your password or Activation Data, until we receive such notice. You acknowledge and agree that, except as otherwise provided by Applicable Law or in our cardholder agreement with you, Scotiabank shall not be liable for any loss or damage arising from your failure to comply with this TOS.
- Your Conduct
- You agree not to:
- impersonate any person or entity using Verified by Visa;
- upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any material that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment used by Verified by Visa;
- spam or flood the Verified by Visa Website or service;
- modify, adapt, sub-license, translate, sell, reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble any portion of the Verified by Visa Website or service or the software used in connection with Verified by Visa;
- remove any copyright, trademark, or other proprietary rights notices contained in Verified by Visa;
- 'frame' or 'mirror' any part of the Verified by Visa Website or service without Visa's prior written authorization;
- use any robot, spider, site search/retrieval application, or other manual or automatic device or process to retrieve, index, 'data mine,' or in any way reproduce or circumvent the navigational structure or presentation of the Verified by Visa Website or service or its contents;
- otherwise interfere with, or disrupt, Verified by Visa or servers or networks connected to Verified by Visa, or violate this TOS or any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of Verified by Visa or of any networks connected to Verified by Visa; or
- intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, provincial, national or international statute, regulation, regulatory guideline or judicial or administrative interpretation, or any rule or requirement established by Visa (all of which shall constitute 'Applicable Law') in connection with your use of Verified by Visa.
- You agree not to:
- You agree that Visa Canada Association or Scotiabank shall not be liable to you or to any third party for any modification, suspension or discontinuance of Verified by Visa.
- Under no circumstances will Visa Canada Association or Scotiabank be liable for consequential, incidental, special or indirect losses or other damages, such as any damage to your computer or telephone service resulting from your use of Verified by Visa.
- Visa Canada Association and Scotiabank assume no responsibility for, and will not be liable for, any damages to, or any viruses which may affect, your computer equipment or other property on account of your access to, use of, or downloading from, this Web site.
- If you want to end your ability to use Verified by Visa, you must visit the Scotiabank Verified by Visa activation website and cancel the service, so that your password and Activation Data with Verified by Visa can be deactivated. Any purchases you made using Verified by Visa prior to deactivation will not be affected.
- We may temporarily or permanently deactivate your ability to use Verified by Visa and terminate your relationship with us at any time, with or without fault on your part. For your protection, we may automatically deactivate your ability to use Verified by Visa if it is not used at least one time during any twelve (12) month period. Closure of your Scotiabank VISA account will constitute immediate deactivation of your ability to use Verified by Visa. Any purchases you made using Verified by Visa prior to closure of the account will not be affected.
- Dealings with Merchants
Your correspondence or business dealings with, or participation in promotions of, online retail or other merchants on or through Verified by Visa, including payment and delivery of related goods or services, and any other terms, conditions, warranties or representations associated with such dealings, are solely between you and such merchant. You agree that, except as otherwise provided by Applicable Law or in our cardholder agreement with you, Scotiabank shall not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage of any sort incurred as the result of any such dealings. You understand that use of Verified by Visa does not, in any way, indicate that we recommend or endorse any merchant, regardless of whether the merchant participates in Verified by Visa. For example, Verified by Visa does not verify the identity of the merchant or the quality of the merchant's goods or services.
- Disclaimer of Warranties
- You expressly understand and agree that any software obtained through the use of Verified by Visa is downloaded and used at your own discretion and risk and that except as otherwise provided in this TOS Agreement, you will be solely responsible for any damage to your computer system or loss of data that results from the download or use of any such software or other materials through Verified by Visa.
- EXCEPT AS OTHERWISE REQUIRED BY ANY APPLICABLE FEDERAL OR PROVINCIAL LAW, SCOTIABANK MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES ABOUT VERIFIED BY VISA OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING ANY WARRANTIES AS TO MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. APPLICABLE LAW MAY NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO THE ABOVE EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
Notices to you may be made via either email or regular mail to any address in your Activation Data or other information that you have provided to us in connection with any of your accounts with us, or your credit cards issued or otherwise provided by us. You also may be notified of changes to this TOS or other matters by notices displayed on or links to notices displayed on www.scotiabank.com.
- Age and Responsibility
You represent that you have attained the age of majority in your Province of Residence and are of sufficient legal age to use Verified by Visa and to create binding legal obligations for any liability you may incur as a result of the use of Verified by Visa. Except as otherwise provided by Applicable Law or in our cardholder agreement with you, you understand that you are financially responsible for all uses of Verified by Visa by you and those authorized by you to use your Activation Data, your password or other verification information. In the event you have a question regarding the Verified by Visa activation process or a transaction using Verified by Visa, you should direct that question to our customer service department in accordance with the instructions in our cardholder agreement with you.
Ready to begin?
- Start Now Activate Verified by Visa on Your Scotiabank VISA Card Activate Verified by VISA